SitRoom (was: Re: [coldwarcomms] TV alert - Sunday - U.S.)

  • hooligan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2000
      > There is an elevator down to the not very deep Situation Room, I seem to
      > recall from my visit

      Well, I've spent some time in that area too, albeit the last time was
      almost a decade ago, and the Sit Room is just in a lower level -- it's often
      described as being in the 'basement of the WH' but that phraseology tends to
      give a very inaccurate impression, regardless of any semantics regarding the
      definition of a basement. SitRoom is a very small (deliberately, because
      they just want key decision makers, one or two briefers, and the
      NSC/WHMO/WHCA support technicians, not normal entourages in there) facility
      which can be walked to from the Oval Office relatively quickly, hence I don't
      believe there's an elevator going directly to it. The entrance is right
      across from the WH Mess -- a dining facility for very senior officials. This
      'basement' level is brightly lit, well decorated, and has lots of other
      inhabitation. It's not a dimly lit area normally devoid of normal Executive
      Complex worker bees & guests. The reason it isn't covered on the public
      tours is simply because doing so would interfere with WH business operations.
      It's on the same 'ground-level' that the South Portico entrance is on, which
      is not the same 'ground-level' as the Pennsylvania Avenue side entrance is on.

      Inquiring about the SitRoom is a good way to weed out people who boast
      about having access to the WH. If they describe it as being some sort of
      bunker deep underground -- or even if they really say it's in the "basement,"
      they don't know what they're talking about.

      I remember reading a book years ago called 'State Scarlett,' authored by a
      former NSC staffer, and my recollection is that he too flubbed the SitRoom
      particulars.

      I'm about to watch the original (1964) version of Fail Safe, prior to
      seeing the remake on TV tonight, but my impression from the last time I saw
      it was that the elevator ride went down to a special chamber of rooms 'deep'
      (perhaps a couple hundred feet, which in that era, might have provided enough
      protection) below the WH.

      Tim