Microwave Towers

  • maverickguy117a
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
      I am a new member of coldwarcomms. I live in New Hampshire and my
      gradfather is a retiree of Western Electric. I can sit down for
      hours with him and listen to him talk about the history of the US
      telecom system. He worked in the New Jersey area. Anyone have any
      good links to info on microwave towers? I have looked at most that
      Google found. The ubergeek in me has a fascination with those old
      microwave systems. Specifically, and I know this is kinda wierd,
      does anyone have any info on the microwave tower in Carney, Md. I
      used to live there and long-lines.net has no info on that tower.
      BTW, I have seen drgibson.com (I think thats how its spelled).
    • s92187
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "maverickguy117a"
        <jamesm.browne@g...> wrote:

        > I am a new member of coldwarcomms. I live in New Hampshire and my
        > gradfather is a retiree of Western Electric. I can sit down for
        > hours with him and listen to him talk about the history of the US
        > telecom system. He worked in the New Jersey area. Anyone have any
        > good links to info on microwave towers? I have looked at most that
        > Google found. The ubergeek in me has a fascination with those old
        > microwave systems. Specifically, and I know this is kinda wierd,
        > does anyone have any info on the microwave tower in Carney, Md. I
        > used to live there and long-lines.net has no info on that tower.
        > BTW, I have seen drgibson.com (I think thats how its spelled).

        The Carney tower was one of the earliest sites that AT&T built,
        datine back to around 1952. It was on a route that ran from
        Philadelphia to Washington. It is now owned by American Tower Corp.,
        they have an online description of the tower at their website at
        www.americantower.com. Click on "find a site", then enter 88035 in
        the box labelled "american tower #", that should take you to it.

        Terry Michaels
      • pwood78
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          > The Carney tower was one of the earliest sites that AT&T built,
          > datine back to around 1952. It was on a route that ran from
          > Philadelphia to Washington. It is now owned by American Tower
          > Corp., they have an online description of the tower at their
          > website at www.americantower.com. Click on "find a site", then
          > enter 88035 in the box labelled "american tower #", that should
          > take you to it.

          Correct. I believe the site still has active licenses. I drove by it
          on I-695 this Monday and it is still horned. Now, if someone knows
          about the Scaggsville POP. I know Arnold doubles as a POP and is part
          of an active microwave link to Salisbury, MD.
        • James Browne
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
            Thanks, the pic wasn't good, but thats typical for American Tower. I
            remember it was a classic microwave tower, 300ft high, four KS horns
            pointed away from each other, lightly sloped self-standing tower,
            square platorm, the works. Nice tower. Thanks.

            On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:41:40 -0000, pwood78 <pwood78@...> wrote:

            > > The Carney tower was one of the earliest sites that AT&T built,
            > > datine back to around 1952. It was on a route that ran from
            > > Philadelphia to Washington. It is now owned by American Tower
            > > Corp., they have an online description of the tower at their
            > > website at www.americantower.com. Click on "find a site", then
            > > enter 88035 in the box labelled "american tower #", that should
            > > take you to it.
            >
            > Correct. I believe the site still has active licenses. I drove by it
            > on I-695 this Monday and it is still horned. Now, if someone knows
            > about the Scaggsville POP. I know Arnold doubles as a POP and is part
            > of an active microwave link to Salisbury, MD.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Chief Engineer,
            Maverick Systems