KC skyline altered as obsolete tower atop AT&T building is dismantled

  • wister6813
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2005
      Eleven photos of the operation may be found at -
      http://www.kansascity.com/multimedia/kansascity/KRT_Packages/slideshow
      /kc_att_microwavetower/index.htm

      Posted on Thu, Feb. 03, 2005

      KC skyline altered as obsolete tower atop AT&T building is dismantled

      By TANYANIKA SAMUELS The Kansas City Star

      The inevitable consequence of progress is change. And change is
      coming to the Kansas City skyline.

      The familiar microwave radio tower that soared 180 feet into the air
      from atop the AT&T building at 14th and Oak streets is coming down,
      one hulking steel slab at a time. The network of steel and antennas
      has become obsolete with the rapid development of the company's fiber-
      optic cable network.

      It is a sign of the times, said Tom Leggett, network field operations
      supervisor for AT&T. "We've grown out of the microwave radio
      technology," Leggett said. "The fiber-optic network is more
      reliable and handles a lot more traffic. It's like with computers,
      every year there's just more and more you can do with it."

      City Hall welcomed the change as a plus for the city landscape.
      "It positively impacts Kansas City's skyline," said Donovan
      Mouton, the mayor's director of urban affairs. "It's great that
      technology has provided us this opportunity."

      The tower is part of a complex that has been part of the skyline
      since 1961, when a smaller tower was built. Most of that tower was
      encased in the building when AT&T added nine stories to the edifice
      in the mid-1970s. Only about 50 feet of the smaller tower remained
      exposed.

      As more high-rises went up in downtown, however, there was a need for
      a higher tower, Leggett said. "Microwave radio signals operate in
      line of sight," he said. "The antennas shoot from point A to
      point B in a straight line. If there are buildings in the way, it
      will disrupt the flow of information, so we needed to get higher than
      the buildings."

      The larger tower was added in 1981, and remained until now.

      BSC Steel Inc. crews started dismantling the smaller of the two
      towers in December. Crew members removed one level, or story. The
      rest of the small tower will remain intact for structural safety
      reasons, said Buzz Bartley, the erection manager with BSC Steel Inc.,
      who is overseeing the project.

      Crews now are tackling the big tower.

      The crew of eight men must cut through the steel and then rig the
      pieces to a 520-foot mobile crane. The average slab measures 8 feet
      by 40 feet, Bartley said, and weighs about 10,000 pounds. The steel
      will be scrapped.

      On Wednesday, workers brought down steel beams, a large stretch of
      platform and several antennas, among other portions. Each antenna
      weighs about 2,500 pounds. The tower itself weighs about 300,000
      pounds.

      The skeletal arm of the crane swung away from the tower with a flight
      of stairs in its large hook. The staircase glided down to the ground,
      trailing from hundreds of feet of steel cable. When it touched down,
      foreman Larry Grant and others hustled over to free it from the
      tangle of cables and shackles. Within 10 minutes, Grant gave the
      crane operator the thumbs up, signaling him to raise the boom back up.

      The larger tower is nine levels tall. It will take the crew an
      estimated three days to fully dismantle each level. The project is
      scheduled to be completed by month's end.
    • s92187
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "wister6813" <glad6813@n...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > platform and several antennas, among other portions. Each antenna
        > weighs about 2,500 pounds. The tower itself weighs about 300,000
        > pounds.
        >
        > The skeletal arm of the crane swung away from the tower with a
        flight
        > of stairs in its large hook. The staircase glided down to the
        ground,
        > trailing from hundreds of feet of steel cable. When it touched
        down,
        > foreman Larry Grant and others hustled over to free it from the
        > tangle of cables and shackles. Within 10 minutes, Grant gave the
        > crane operator the thumbs up, signaling him to raise the boom back
        up.

        > The larger tower is nine levels tall. It will take the crew an
        > estimated three days to fully dismantle each level. The project is
        > scheduled to be completed by month's end.

        Anyone have good photos of this site? I have a couple, but they
        were taken from only one direction.

        Terry Michaels
      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005

          > Anyone have good photos of this site? I have a couple, but they
          > were taken from only one direction.

          Anyone get the paper's photos to display?

        • Blake Bowers
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
            Came up fine for me.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
              >--- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...>
              wrote:
              > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
              > >

              > > Anyone have good photos of this site? I have a couple, but they
              > > were taken from only one direction.
              >
              > Anyone get the paper's photos to display?

              Yes, after pasting in the 2nd line of the address.

              Try http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2006386A

              Frank
            • Steve Schindler
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
                Try http://tinyurl.com/4xhu2 for the photos. It appears that they've
                archived the story and pictures.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005

                  > Yes, after pasting in the 2nd line of the address.
                  >
                  > Try http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2006386A

                  I get the same blank screen. I hate Java-virus based
                  cute webpages.