Re: Richmond/Newpoint

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Krugler" <kruglerd@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 11:27 PM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Richmond/Newpoint

      <SNIP>
      > For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the Signal
      Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
      > "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
      > -TWX facilities - 12 lines
      > -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
      > - Tape relay center - 38 lines
      > - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
      > - 4 microwave systems
      > - Closed loop television microwave - 2."
      <SNIP>

      I'd guess that the 51-pair cable is the buried line which goes south along
      Rt. 601 for several miles, then heads west (and possibly south), apparently
      tying into the Upper Strasburg, PA to Lynchburg, VA ("USL") route. The
      westbound branch of the cable is buried for exactly 10 miles from High
      Point, then apparently became aerial (the cable has been cut off at ground
      level at the base of a pole) along a road in Boyce, VA.

      Photos of the hardened repeater hut on Rt. 601 are at:
      http://long-lines.net/places-routes/cables/MtWeather-Winchester/repeaters.html

      Albert
    • David Krugler
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
        In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa 1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their website?

        David Krugler
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
          > In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa
          1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their
          website?

          > David Krugler

          Sure, I can add it to my Mt. Weather page (such as it is):
          http://coldwar-c4i.net/mt_weather/index.html