Re: Richmond/Newpoint

  • David Krugler
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
      The question was asked:

      "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
      it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
      unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
      audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
      points to Harrisburg."

      For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
      "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
      -TWX facilities - 12 lines
      -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
      - Tape relay center - 38 lines
      - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
      - 4 microwave systems
      - Closed loop television microwave - 2."

      I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light to make out the line to the White House.

      David Krugler
    • CBright10@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
        In case it matters or means anything to anyone on the list, the
        Newpoint/Virginia Military District headquarters phone number on the third floor of 900
        Lombardy Street was 6-3854.

        Christopher Bright
        CBright10@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...> wrote:
          > The question was asked:
          >
          > "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking
          the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
          > it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
          > unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
          > audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
          > points to Harrisburg."
          >
          > For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the
          Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
          > "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
          > -TWX facilities - 12 lines
          > -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
          > - Tape relay center - 38 lines
          > - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
          > - 4 microwave systems
          > - Closed loop television microwave - 2."
          >
          > I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and
          various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light
          to make out the line to the White House.

          > David Krugler

          A rare document indeed..any chance of it being scanned & posted here
          or on the website of a member(s)...also i assume no ownership is shown
          on the microwave & TV systems?
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
              In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa 1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their website?

              David Krugler
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                > In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa
                1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their
                website?

                > David Krugler

                Sure, I can add it to my Mt. Weather page (such as it is):
                http://coldwar-c4i.net/mt_weather/index.html