Alaska Cold War Communications

  • lnmes@uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2000
      I've been following the list for a month or so...
      Following links in the L Cxr site I found a couple a bit closer to home.
      The Alaska White Alice Communications System was a triumph of "man over
      ether" and "man over weather" and "mind over matter" and generally U.S.
      dollars over EVERYTHING!
      I just received the following from a fellow who was a White Alice veteran:

      Tom Brady writes:

      Mark,

      Having spent most of the cold war on active duty with the Air Force
      (1972-1994) I worked with this system as well as the original ACS and White
      Alice systems. The history of some of these systems is fascinating. I
      remember reading the RFP to extend White Alice out the Aleutians in the
      early 1950s. It was about 12 pages (double spaced) and simply told ATT to
      go and do it. That's pretty much how it happened before 1984.

      Tom Brady

      Here are two great sites on White Alice-
      http://www.arcticflash.com/wacs/ The Fort Yukon WACS Site
      http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/7989/wacs/main.html White Alice
      pages- great stuff

      Mark Edward Springer
      WL7BCT
      Bethel, Alaska
    • Joe Stevens
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2000
        Mark, Maybe you missed my WACS site at
        http://www.kadiak.org/wacs/wacs.html

        Regards,

        ...j0e

        Kodiak

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, lnmes@u... wrote:
          > I've been following the list for a month or so...
          > Following links in the L Cxr site I found a couple a bit closer to
          home.
          > The Alaska White Alice Communications System was a triumph of "man
          over
          > ether" and "man over weather" and "mind over matter" and generally
          U.S.
          > dollars over EVERYTHING!
          > I just received the following from a fellow who was a White Alice
          veteran:

          > Tom Brady writes:
          >
          > Mark,
          >
          > Having spent most of the cold war on active duty with the Air Force
          > (1972-1994) I worked with this system as well as the original ACS
          and White
          > Alice systems. The history of some of these systems is fascinating.
          > remember reading the RFP to extend White Alice out the Aleutians in
          the
          > early 1950s. It was about 12 pages (double spaced) and simply told
          ATT to
          > go and do it. That's pretty much how it happened before 1984.
          >
          > Tom Brady
          >
          > Here are two great sites on White Alice-
          > http://www.arcticflash.com/wacs/ The Fort Yukon WACS Site
          > http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/7989/wacs/main.html White
          Alice
          > pages- great stuff
          >

          > Mark Edward Springer
          > WL7BCT
          > Bethel, Alaska

          Another page on White Alice,mentioning C,K,ON & 45 Lenkurt
          carriers,L multiplex,TD-2 & Lenkurt 74 MW,etc

          http://www.geocities.com/heartland/shores/7989/wacs/main.html
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2003

            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2003
              Sorry for the duplicate urls cited,thot i was deleting but it sent.