Re: [coldwarcomms] SBC buying AT&T

  • Daryl R. Gibson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      It's my belief that we have a whole lot less to worry about from SBC
      (or any of the other Baby Bells) acquiring AT&T than we do with the
      other likely alternatives:

      1. AT&T dying off slowly at the hands of non-telecom people.
      2. AT&T sold (for the name only) to a buyout group.
      3. AT&T declaring bankruptcy under pressure from creditors.

      The biggest problem that AT&T has had in the last few years is a series
      of managers, many of whom were recuited from non-telecom companies,
      (but some of whom were old AT&T people who couldn't see the potentials
      for the future). Somehow, I think it will do better under a person who
      has a telecom background (SBC's CEO is former AT&T) and who understands
      the nature of service, than if it's given to another consumer-marketer
      who doesn't understand the background that the company has. SBC has
      proven to be a company which is willing to change with the times -- at
      least as much as any BOC could do, with the needs and responsibilities
      of continuing universal service in the telecom field, often with an
      outdated plant.

      Whether it will provide coldwarcomms researchers with all they seek
      would be another matter, but SBC is, after all, merely an initialized
      variant of the original name of the company, Southwestern Bell
      Corporation -- and I suspect it has a copy of the Golden Boy statue
      sitting around its corporate offices somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised
      to see the Bell System's "no job is so important and no task so urgent"
      motto in their offices.

      SBC, like all of the Baby Bells, still has plenty of people within it
      who understand what the phrase "Bell System" meant, even though
      admittedly, many of those people have retired, or are on their way to
      retirement. At the time of the breakup, AT&T didn't keep all the good
      people for themselves -- the Baby Bells were staffed with good people
      by the company.

      As a matter of curiosity, I'd be interested in finding out if since the
      acquisition of GTE by Verizon, if the new Verizon-GTE has picked up
      more Bell-standard practices than the old GTE had -- particularly in
      reliability, standards of service, etc.

      Anyway, I don't think that one of the Baby Bells acquiring AT&T is
      necessarily bad, and may indeed be the best thing that's happened to it
      in the last 20 years worth of missteps on AT&T's part. Of course, that
      assumes that the merger will go through, and that SBC will wind up
      being the actual party that acquires AT&T. They don't expect the merger
      to go through until next year, and there could be a lot of water under
      the bridge (and competing offers) by the time the merger comes to
      fruition.

      Daryl

      =====
      "As you ramble through life, brother, no matter what your goal,
      keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole"
      --Dr. Murray Banks, quoting a menu
      Daryl R. Gibson, MCSE
      Office: (801)422-2950 Cell: (801)367-4341
      Home: (702)734-6153, Utah Residence: (801)802-6348
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        here's the (at&t)internal release: