Re: [coldwarcomms] SBC buying AT&T

  • allan lawson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
      yes--at&t has for yrs trying to get the union workers out of these sites---don't know what this buyout will do

      doug humphrey <doug@...> wrote:
      Now that SBC is going to buy AT&T we should consider that the new
      owner may not have the same level of traditions concerning old gov
      systems and infrastructure - what are the possibilities?

      1) SBC might want to sell some of the facilities that AT&T hangs onto
      by inertia - SBC has little cold war tradition, and may be more focused
      on "it pays, or it's out of here".

      2) The Archives - as we all know, they have already been under pressure
      and the new owner might not have the same approach as the old. That
      is putting it very nicely.

      3) ???

      what else do you guys think might happen?

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      Do You Yahoo!?

    • Daryl R. Gibson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        It's my belief that we have a whole lot less to worry about from SBC
        (or any of the other Baby Bells) acquiring AT&T than we do with the
        other likely alternatives:

        1. AT&T dying off slowly at the hands of non-telecom people.
        2. AT&T sold (for the name only) to a buyout group.
        3. AT&T declaring bankruptcy under pressure from creditors.

        The biggest problem that AT&T has had in the last few years is a series
        of managers, many of whom were recuited from non-telecom companies,
        (but some of whom were old AT&T people who couldn't see the potentials
        for the future). Somehow, I think it will do better under a person who
        has a telecom background (SBC's CEO is former AT&T) and who understands
        the nature of service, than if it's given to another consumer-marketer
        who doesn't understand the background that the company has. SBC has
        proven to be a company which is willing to change with the times -- at
        least as much as any BOC could do, with the needs and responsibilities
        of continuing universal service in the telecom field, often with an
        outdated plant.

        Whether it will provide coldwarcomms researchers with all they seek
        would be another matter, but SBC is, after all, merely an initialized
        variant of the original name of the company, Southwestern Bell
        Corporation -- and I suspect it has a copy of the Golden Boy statue
        sitting around its corporate offices somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised
        to see the Bell System's "no job is so important and no task so urgent"
        motto in their offices.

        SBC, like all of the Baby Bells, still has plenty of people within it
        who understand what the phrase "Bell System" meant, even though
        admittedly, many of those people have retired, or are on their way to
        retirement. At the time of the breakup, AT&T didn't keep all the good
        people for themselves -- the Baby Bells were staffed with good people
        by the company.

        As a matter of curiosity, I'd be interested in finding out if since the
        acquisition of GTE by Verizon, if the new Verizon-GTE has picked up
        more Bell-standard practices than the old GTE had -- particularly in
        reliability, standards of service, etc.

        Anyway, I don't think that one of the Baby Bells acquiring AT&T is
        necessarily bad, and may indeed be the best thing that's happened to it
        in the last 20 years worth of missteps on AT&T's part. Of course, that
        assumes that the merger will go through, and that SBC will wind up
        being the actual party that acquires AT&T. They don't expect the merger
        to go through until next year, and there could be a lot of water under
        the bridge (and competing offers) by the time the merger comes to

        "As you ramble through life, brother, no matter what your goal,
        keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole"
        --Dr. Murray Banks, quoting a menu
        Daryl R. Gibson, MCSE
        Office: (801)422-2950 Cell: (801)367-4341
        Home: (702)734-6153, Utah Residence: (801)802-6348
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
          here's the (at&t)internal release: