Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Richmond/Newpoint

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "ozob99" <ozob99@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 1:10 PM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Richmond/Newpoint

      > Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the
      > AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
      > it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
      > unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
      > audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
      > points to Harrisburg.

      Here are the telecom facilities of historic interest that I'm aware of at
      High Point. I don't have a timeline for most of them, so keep in mind that
      not all may have been active simultaneously:

      (1) AT&T buried wire-pair carrier cable going south to a hardenedrepeater
      hut on Rt. 601, then apparently (I'm not clear on the exact routing)
      splitting into a westbound route toward Winchester and a southbound route to
      the Warrenton 2 microwave station.

      (2) AT&T microwave route (station name Washington 4) going west to Omps
      (Whitacre, VA). From Omps, the route had paths to the Leesburg 5 and
      Hagerstown 2 troposcatter stations.

      (3) AT&T microwave route going east to Hamilton, VA.

      (4) Contel Federal/American Satellite microwave route (station name Paris
      West) to Site R via Martinsburg, WV and Clear Spring, MD.

      (5) Contel Federal/American Satellite microwave route (station name Paris
      East) to Elmer, MD (apparently just a relay/junction station) and on to the
      Site E station at Tysons Corner, VA.

      (6) Government-owned HF (shortwave) radio via antennas near the top of the
      mountain.

      (7) "Combat Ciders" / "Northstar" air-ground UHF radio ground entry point.

      (8) Western Union microwave link into the company's transcontinental "radio
      beam" network, via a tower (no longer existing) located several miles north
      of the High Point compound. The link between the WU tower and High Point is
      unknown.

      (9) Probable microwave, cable and/or HF radio links to remote transmitter
      and receiver bunkers at Bardane and Summit Point, WV.

      (10) Possible government-owned microwave links into the Presidential
      Emergency Facilities microwave network.

      Albert
    • David Krugler
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
        The question was asked:

        "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
        it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
        unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
        audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
        points to Harrisburg."

        For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
        "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
        -TWX facilities - 12 lines
        -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
        - Tape relay center - 38 lines
        - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
        - 4 microwave systems
        - Closed loop television microwave - 2."

        I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light to make out the line to the White House.

        David Krugler
      • CBright10@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
          In case it matters or means anything to anyone on the list, the
          Newpoint/Virginia Military District headquarters phone number on the third floor of 900
          Lombardy Street was 6-3854.

          Christopher Bright
          CBright10@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...> wrote:
            > The question was asked:
            >
            > "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking
            the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
            > it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
            > unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
            > audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
            > points to Harrisburg."
            >
            > For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the
            Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
            > "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
            > -TWX facilities - 12 lines
            > -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
            > - Tape relay center - 38 lines
            > - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
            > - 4 microwave systems
            > - Closed loop television microwave - 2."
            >
            > I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and
            various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light
            to make out the line to the White House.

            > David Krugler

            A rare document indeed..any chance of it being scanned & posted here
            or on the website of a member(s)...also i assume no ownership is shown
            on the microwave & TV systems?
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa 1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their website?

                David Krugler
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                  > In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa
                  1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their
                  website?

                  > David Krugler

                  Sure, I can add it to my Mt. Weather page (such as it is):
                  http://coldwar-c4i.net/mt_weather/index.html