Re: Richmond/Newpoint

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, CBright10@a... wrote:
      > According to records available at the Richmond Public Library, the
      "Newpoint" building (900 North Lombardy) was a five story structure
      entirely occupied by US government agencies in 1955. The whole third
      floor was home to the "U[nited]S[tates]A[rmy]/VA Military District
      Headquarters."

      > Christopher Bright
      > CBright10@a...

      This building used to be a tobacco warehouse with high ceilings &
      wooden floors,leased by the gov't prior to 1950(possibly WW2);also had
      the draft board & physical exam facility.i'm told it's still there as
      a warehouse of some kind.

      One of the retirees i asked about it said he was on active duty in the
      Army there in 1950 as a radio operator. During a telco strike that
      year some private line phone & telegraph circuits were out a long
      time, so a HF radio link was set up to communicate with Ft. Meade as a
      back up. He said they just strung a long wire out of aa window to an
      adjacent building.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
          The question was asked:

          "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
          it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
          unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
          audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
          points to Harrisburg."

          For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
          "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
          -TWX facilities - 12 lines
          -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
          - Tape relay center - 38 lines
          - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
          - 4 microwave systems
          - Closed loop television microwave - 2."

          I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light to make out the line to the White House.

          David Krugler
        • CBright10@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
            In case it matters or means anything to anyone on the list, the
            Newpoint/Virginia Military District headquarters phone number on the third floor of 900
            Lombardy Street was 6-3854.

            Christopher Bright
            CBright10@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...> wrote:
              > The question was asked:
              >
              > "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking
              the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
              > it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
              > unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
              > audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
              > points to Harrisburg."
              >
              > For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the
              Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
              > "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
              > -TWX facilities - 12 lines
              > -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
              > - Tape relay center - 38 lines
              > - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
              > - 4 microwave systems
              > - Closed loop television microwave - 2."
              >
              > I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and
              various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light
              to make out the line to the White House.

              > David Krugler

              A rare document indeed..any chance of it being scanned & posted here
              or on the website of a member(s)...also i assume no ownership is shown
              on the microwave & TV systems?
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                  In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa 1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their website?

                  David Krugler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                    > In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa
                    1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their
                    website?

                    > David Krugler

                    Sure, I can add it to my Mt. Weather page (such as it is):
                    http://coldwar-c4i.net/mt_weather/index.html