Re: [coldwarcomms] Richmond/Newpoint

  • Christopher Ness
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      On 01/31/2005 10:34 am, David Krugler scratched his head, bit his pencil and
      wrote:
      > To carry the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV system
      > already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office Building
      > right next to the White House. The audio, however, was carried on AT&T's
      > microwave system from High Point...

      That must have made for some odd syncronization.
      --
      Chris Ness
      mailto:cness@... All jobs are equally easy to
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Ness <mness215@c...>
        wrote:
        > On 01/31/2005 10:34 am, David Krugler scratched his head, bit his
        pencil and
        > wrote:
        > > To carry the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV
        system
        > > already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office
        Building
        > > right next to the White House. The audio, however, was carried on
        AT&T's
        > > microwave system from High Point...
        >
        > That must have made for some odd syncronization.

        Was not a problem;all network TV audio was seperate from the video
        feeds until the 1970's; video on microwave & audio on program channel
        units riding K,L & R carrier;often routed far apart.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...>
          wrote:
          > Mr. Bright asked for more details about Newpoint . . . here's what
          > Another item that may be of interest to the list concerns Ike's
          television address from High Point (Mt. Weather) from the tent city
          set up on the grounds for OPAL 1955. On June 15, Murrary Snyder of
          the White House Press Secretary's Office called the Signal Corps to
          set up TV and radio feeds from High Point to the major networks. The
          Signal Coprs was given only about 1 hr. to ready this link. To carry
          the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV system
          already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office
          Building right next to the White House. The audio, however, was
          carried on AT&T's microwave system from High Point to Harrisburg,
          then over "regular facilities" to NYC, where it was fed to the TV and
          radio studios. The Corps also set up temporary antennae on the roofs
          of the EOB and the telephone co. building at 725 13th St. in DC so
          that the video feed could be sent on to NYC. NBC and Dumont broadcast
          the video; NBC, CBS, ABC, and Mutual each broadcast the President's
          address on their radio networks. [Source: Memorandum, June 17, 1955,
          RG 396 (Records of the Office of Emergency Preparedness), National
          Archives, College Park, Md.]

          > David Krugler

          Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the
          AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
          it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
          unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
          audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
          points to Harrisburg.
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, CBright10@a... wrote:
            > According to records available at the Richmond Public Library, the
            "Newpoint" building (900 North Lombardy) was a five story structure
            entirely occupied by US government agencies in 1955. The whole third
            floor was home to the "U[nited]S[tates]A[rmy]/VA Military District
            Headquarters."

            > Christopher Bright
            > CBright10@a...

            This building used to be a tobacco warehouse with high ceilings &
            wooden floors,leased by the gov't prior to 1950(possibly WW2);also had
            the draft board & physical exam facility.i'm told it's still there as
            a warehouse of some kind.

            One of the retirees i asked about it said he was on active duty in the
            Army there in 1950 as a radio operator. During a telco strike that
            year some private line phone & telegraph circuits were out a long
            time, so a HF radio link was set up to communicate with Ft. Meade as a
            back up. He said they just strung a long wire out of aa window to an
            adjacent building.
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                The question was asked:

                "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
                it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
                unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
                audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
                points to Harrisburg."

                For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
                "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
                -TWX facilities - 12 lines
                -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
                - Tape relay center - 38 lines
                - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
                - 4 microwave systems
                - Closed loop television microwave - 2."

                I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light to make out the line to the White House.

                David Krugler
              • CBright10@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                  In case it matters or means anything to anyone on the list, the
                  Newpoint/Virginia Military District headquarters phone number on the third floor of 900
                  Lombardy Street was 6-3854.

                  Christopher Bright
                  CBright10@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...> wrote:
                    > The question was asked:
                    >
                    > "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking
                    the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
                    > it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
                    > unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
                    > audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
                    > points to Harrisburg."
                    >
                    > For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the
                    Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
                    > "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
                    > -TWX facilities - 12 lines
                    > -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
                    > - Tape relay center - 38 lines
                    > - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
                    > - 4 microwave systems
                    > - Closed loop television microwave - 2."
                    >
                    > I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and
                    various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light
                    to make out the line to the White House.

                    > David Krugler

                    A rare document indeed..any chance of it being scanned & posted here
                    or on the website of a member(s)...also i assume no ownership is shown
                    on the microwave & TV systems?
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                        In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa 1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their website?

                        David Krugler
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                          > In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa
                          1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their
                          website?

                          > David Krugler

                          Sure, I can add it to my Mt. Weather page (such as it is):
                          http://coldwar-c4i.net/mt_weather/index.html