Re: (no subject)

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 7:12 AM
      At 11:23 PM 4/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: John Warne <warnejw@...>
      >
      >While looking around on Albert's site, I followed the links to the
      >Brookings site, and found the following under the Mt Weather site
      >information at:
      >
      >Anybody ever seen one of the "sensors mounted on telephone poles?"

      The Bomb Alarm System (OSR 290) was operated by the Air Force. It could
      identify yields between 1/2 and 20 megatons at altitudes below 12,000 feet.
      (source Winter Study March 1961). I believe that it was upgraded several
      times since them. Mainly to refine direction of explosion and to eliminate
      false alarms due to power failures and lightning strikes. I believe the
      last ground based system was based on neutron detection and mainly existed
      at AT&T L carrier facilities. I have several pictures of these on my web
      page. The current system is space based. If it has a name I can't remember it.