Re: [coldwarcomms] Richmond/Newpoint

  • David Krugler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2005
      Mr. Bright asked for more details about Newpoint . . . here's what I have:

      Newpoint was located in room 306 of the building at 900 N. Lombardy St. in Richmond. This is in the business district on U.S. RT 1 according to my source, which is an undated press release I found stapled to a packet of materials dated 27 May 1955. (Source: Eisenhower Library, White House Office, Central File, Confidential File).

      The best secondary source to date on OPAL 1955 and Newpoint is Guy Oakes, _The Imaginary War_ (Oxford University Press, 1994), pp. 84-93 (esp. p. 87)

      Contemporary coverage of OPAL 55 was extensive. See the Washington Post, June 15, 1955 p. A1, June 16, p. A1, and June 26; The Washington Daily News, June 16; The Washington Star, June 15 & 16. Also see "When Ike "Fled" Washington," US News & World Report v. 38, no. 25 (24 June 1955): 66-69; Newsweek vol. XLV no. 26 (27 June 1955): 54. (The last item is the source for the story about Newpoint's delay in reporting that NYC had been "bombed.")

      Another item that may be of interest to the list concerns Ike's television address from High Point (Mt. Weather) from the tent city set up on the grounds for OPAL 1955. On June 15, Murrary Snyder of the White House Press Secretary's Office called the Signal Corps to set up TV and radio feeds from High Point to the major networks. The Signal Coprs was given only about 1 hr. to ready this link. To carry the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV system already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office Building right next to the White House. The audio, however, was carried on AT&T's microwave system from High Point to Harrisburg, then over "regular facilities" to NYC, where it was fed to the TV and radio studios. The Corps also set up temporary antennae on the roofs of the EOB and the telephone co. building at 725 13th St. in DC so that the video feed could be sent on to NYC. NBC and Dumont broadcast the video; NBC, CBS, ABC, and Mutual each broadcast the President's address on their radio networks. [Source: Memorandum, June 17, 1955, RG 396 (Records of the Office of Emergency Preparedness), National Archives, College Park, Md.]

      David Krugler
    • CBright10@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2005
        According to records available at the Richmond Public Library, the "Newpoint" building (900 North Lombardy) was a five story structure entirely occupied by US government agencies in 1955. The whole third floor was home to the "U[nited]S[tates]A[rmy]/VA Military District Headquarters."

        Christopher Bright
        CBright10@...
      • Christopher Ness
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
          On 01/31/2005 10:34 am, David Krugler scratched his head, bit his pencil and
          wrote:
          > To carry the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV system
          > already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office Building
          > right next to the White House. The audio, however, was carried on AT&T's
          > microwave system from High Point...

          That must have made for some odd syncronization.
          --
          Chris Ness
          mailto:cness@... All jobs are equally easy to
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Ness <mness215@c...>
            wrote:
            > On 01/31/2005 10:34 am, David Krugler scratched his head, bit his
            pencil and
            > wrote:
            > > To carry the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV
            system
            > > already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office
            Building
            > > right next to the White House. The audio, however, was carried on
            AT&T's
            > > microwave system from High Point...
            >
            > That must have made for some odd syncronization.

            Was not a problem;all network TV audio was seperate from the video
            feeds until the 1970's; video on microwave & audio on program channel
            units riding K,L & R carrier;often routed far apart.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...>
              wrote:
              > Mr. Bright asked for more details about Newpoint . . . here's what
              > Another item that may be of interest to the list concerns Ike's
              television address from High Point (Mt. Weather) from the tent city
              set up on the grounds for OPAL 1955. On June 15, Murrary Snyder of
              the White House Press Secretary's Office called the Signal Corps to
              set up TV and radio feeds from High Point to the major networks. The
              Signal Coprs was given only about 1 hr. to ready this link. To carry
              the video transmission, the Corps decided to use the CCTV system
              already in place between High Point and the Old Executive Office
              Building right next to the White House. The audio, however, was
              carried on AT&T's microwave system from High Point to Harrisburg,
              then over "regular facilities" to NYC, where it was fed to the TV and
              radio studios. The Corps also set up temporary antennae on the roofs
              of the EOB and the telephone co. building at 725 13th St. in DC so
              that the video feed could be sent on to NYC. NBC and Dumont broadcast
              the video; NBC, CBS, ABC, and Mutual each broadcast the President's
              address on their radio networks. [Source: Memorandum, June 17, 1955,
              RG 396 (Records of the Office of Emergency Preparedness), National
              Archives, College Park, Md.]

              > David Krugler

              Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the
              AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
              it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
              unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
              audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
              points to Harrisburg.
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, CBright10@a... wrote:
                > According to records available at the Richmond Public Library, the
                "Newpoint" building (900 North Lombardy) was a five story structure
                entirely occupied by US government agencies in 1955. The whole third
                floor was home to the "U[nited]S[tates]A[rmy]/VA Military District
                Headquarters."

                > Christopher Bright
                > CBright10@a...

                This building used to be a tobacco warehouse with high ceilings &
                wooden floors,leased by the gov't prior to 1950(possibly WW2);also had
                the draft board & physical exam facility.i'm told it's still there as
                a warehouse of some kind.

                One of the retirees i asked about it said he was on active duty in the
                Army there in 1950 as a radio operator. During a telco strike that
                year some private line phone & telegraph circuits were out a long
                time, so a HF radio link was set up to communicate with Ft. Meade as a
                back up. He said they just strung a long wire out of aa window to an
                adjacent building.
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2005
                    The question was asked:

                    "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
                    it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
                    unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
                    audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
                    points to Harrisburg."

                    For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
                    "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
                    -TWX facilities - 12 lines
                    -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
                    - Tape relay center - 38 lines
                    - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
                    - 4 microwave systems
                    - Closed loop television microwave - 2."

                    I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light to make out the line to the White House.

                    David Krugler
                  • CBright10@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                      In case it matters or means anything to anyone on the list, the
                      Newpoint/Virginia Military District headquarters phone number on the third floor of 900
                      Lombardy Street was 6-3854.

                      Christopher Bright
                      CBright10@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Krugler <kruglerd@u...> wrote:
                        > The question was asked:
                        >
                        > "Anyone know what the High Point-EOB CCTV route was?..I'm thinking
                        the AT&T TD2 was'nt in place until 1956(I'm trying to verify this);if so,
                        > it must have been either on an AT&T temporary MW feed or gov't MW
                        > unless it was slow scan, & then probably on "N" carrier; and the
                        > audio must have also been on an "N" carrier channel via various
                        > points to Harrisburg."
                        >
                        > For what it's worth, I have a memorandum dated 20 May 1955 from the
                        Signal Corps listing all the comms facilities being used during OPAL 55:
                        > "-Toll telephone switchboards - 90 trunks, 200 locals
                        > -TWX facilities - 12 lines
                        > -Terminal tributary - 10 lines
                        > - Tape relay center - 38 lines
                        > - 51 pair cable connecting with Telephone Co. facilities
                        > - 4 microwave systems
                        > - Closed loop television microwave - 2."
                        >
                        > I also have a diagram of various comm. links between High Point and
                        various installations. Unfortunately the photocopy I have is too light
                        to make out the line to the White House.

                        > David Krugler

                        A rare document indeed..any chance of it being scanned & posted here
                        or on the website of a member(s)...also i assume no ownership is shown
                        on the microwave & TV systems?
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2005
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                            In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa 1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their website?

                            David Krugler
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 4, 2005
                              > In re: the diagram of various communications links from High Point circa
                              1955, I can certainly scan it . . . any volunteers for posting on their
                              website?

                              > David Krugler

                              Sure, I can add it to my Mt. Weather page (such as it is):
                              http://coldwar-c4i.net/mt_weather/index.html