NE Florida Microwave Sites

  • Matthew Sadler
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2005
      Some time back (and I do mean some time back, this was probably pre-Yahoo!
      Groups days) there was some discussion about a site down on US 1 near the
      FL/GA state line, maybe near Hilliard, FL or Folkston, GA about some
      microwave horns having been 'transplanted' and placed at the entrance to a
      trailer park... anyone remember this thread and where this is? I'll be down
      that way in April, thought I'd swing by and see it for myself.

      Thanks...

      Matthew Sadler
      Owner, Webmaster and Dictator: www.scanchattanooga.com
    • Christopher Ness
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2005
        On 01/26/2005 05:56 am, Matthew Sadler scratched his head, bit his pencil and
        wrote:
        > Some time back (and I do mean some time back, this was probably pre-Yahoo!
        > Groups days) there was some discussion about a site down on US 1 near the
        > FL/GA state line, maybe near Hilliard, FL or Folkston, GA about some
        > microwave horns having been 'transplanted' and placed at the entrance to a
        > trailer park...

        Actually, I think these were in a junkyard that was made out of one of the old
        motels left from the fifties before I-95 became the major N-S route. Teying
        to remember exactly where, I am drawing a blank. But I think it was just
        South of the state line.
      • mm2mere
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Ness <mness215@c...>
          wrote:
          > On 01/26/2005 05:56 am, Matthew Sadler scratched his head, bit his
          pencil and
          > wrote:
          > > Some time back (and I do mean some time back, this was probably
          pre-Yahoo!
          > > Groups days) there was some discussion about a site down on US 1
          near the
          > > FL/GA state line, maybe near Hilliard, FL or Folkston, GA about
          some
          > > microwave horns having been 'transplanted' and placed at the
          entrance to a
          > > trailer park...
          >
          > Actually, I think these were in a junkyard that was made out of one
          of the old
          > motels left from the fifties before I-95 became the major N-S route.
          Teying
          > to remember exactly where, I am drawing a blank. But I think it was
          just
          > South of the state line.

          I remember seeing these twenty years ago while driving north from
          Jacksonville to Hilliard, FL to visit the Jacksonville air route
          traffic control center. They were on US-1, south of Hilliard.
        • s92187
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2005
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "mm2mere" <mmeredith32@c...>
            wrote:

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Ness
            <mness215@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > On 01/26/2005 05:56 am, Matthew Sadler scratched his head, bit
            his
            > pencil and
            > > wrote:
            > > > Some time back (and I do mean some time back, this was probably
            > pre-Yahoo!
            > > > Groups days) there was some discussion about a site down on US
            1
            > near the
            > > > FL/GA state line, maybe near Hilliard, FL or Folkston, GA about
            > some
            > > > microwave horns having been 'transplanted' and placed at the
            > entrance to a
            > > > trailer park...
            > >
            > > Actually, I think these were in a junkyard that was made out of
            one
            > of the old
            > > motels left from the fifties before I-95 became the major N-S
            route.
            > Teying
            > > to remember exactly where, I am drawing a blank. But I think it
            was
            > just
            > > South of the state line.
            >

            > I remember seeing these twenty years ago while driving north from
            > Jacksonville to Hilliard, FL to visit the Jacksonville air route
            > traffic control center. They were on US-1, south of Hilliard.

            Do you remember, or does anyone else know, if those are horn
            reflector antennas, or delay lens antennas?

            Terry Michaels
          • Mike Doughney
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2005
              > I remember seeing these twenty years ago while driving north from
              > Jacksonville to Hilliard, FL to visit the Jacksonville air route
              > traffic control center. They were on US-1, south of Hilliard.

              I've seen this location in my travels in the past few years, and I didn't
              take a picture nor can I remember exactly where it was, only that it was in
              southern Georgia not far from the Florida state line and that the trailer
              park was adjacent to the AT&T tower from which the horns had evidently been
              removed rather recently.
            • mm2mere
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s92187" <tmichaels@t...> wrote:

                > Do you remember, or does anyone else know, if those are horn
                > reflector antennas, or delay lens antennas?
                >
                > Terry Michaels

                Memory is fuzzy, but I'm sure they were horn reflectors. The year was
                1986 or 1987. I have a photograph of them somewhere that I'll dig out
                to be sure.
              • mm2mere
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "mm2mere" <mmeredith32@c...> wrote:

                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s92187" <tmichaels@t...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Do you remember, or does anyone else know, if those are horn
                  > > reflector antennas, or delay lens antennas?
                  > >
                  > > Terry Michaels
                  >

                  > Memory is fuzzy, but I'm sure they were horn reflectors. The year was
                  > 1986 or 1987. I have a photograph of them somewhere that I'll dig out
                  > to be sure.

                  I found the photo. Reflector horns.
                • Christopher Ness
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                    On 02/01/2005 04:51 pm, mm2mere scratched his head, bit his pencil and wrote:
                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "mm2mere" <mmeredith32@c...> wrote:
                    > > Memory is fuzzy, but I'm sure they were horn reflectors. The year was
                    > > 1986 or 1987. I have a photograph of them somewhere that I'll dig out
                    > > to be sure.
                    >
                    > I found the photo. Reflector horns.

                    They were there as recently as two Summers ago. Never saw the tower though.

                    --
                    Chris Ness
                    mailto:cness@... All jobs are equally easy to
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Slight Change of Subj: Got some JPGs of the Ellisville GEP (site still
                      active) and surrounding site if anyone wants to see them.

                      Clay