Re: [TCI] Bell System shoe store?

  • Mike Magnus
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
      The 1981 WE Hawthorne Works Telephone Directory lists the extension number of the 'Safety Shoe Store' (2819), open Wednesday 9:00 AM
      to 5:00 PM. It also lists the 'Safety Shoe Store Coordinator' at 4678.

      -Mike

      > Here's a mysterious photo I bought on eBay:
      > http://long-lines.net/documents/ShoeStore.html
      >
      > My guess is that it shows a company store at some Western Electric
      > manufacturing plant. Note the work clothes on the mannequins and the style
      > of shoe being tried on by the customer.
      >
      > Albert
    • Timothy V. Peters
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
        Wow. Shoes with KS- numbers. Somewhere in my massive pile of stuff I still have a roll of Bell System Toilet Paper with the KS-number
        on the front. For the record, the only unusual aspect of the Grade Z industrial toilet paper (you know, the kind with the wood chunks
        still in it) is the outer wrapper.

        Tim Peters

        Mike Magnus wrote:

        > The 1981 WE Hawthorne Works Telephone Directory lists the extension number of the 'Safety Shoe Store' (2819), open Wednesday 9:00 AM
        > to 5:00 PM. It also lists the 'Safety Shoe Store Coordinator' at 4678.
        >
        > -Mike
        >
        > > Here's a mysterious photo I bought on eBay:
        > > http://long-lines.net/documents/ShoeStore.html
        > >
        > > My guess is that it shows a company store at some Western Electric
        > > manufacturing plant. Note the work clothes on the mannequins and the style
        > > of shoe being tried on by the customer.
        > >
        > > Albert
      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004

          > Wow. Shoes with KS- numbers. Somewhere in my massive pile of stuff I still have a roll
          > of Bell System Toilet Paper with the KS-number
          > on the front. For the record, the only unusual aspect of the Grade Z industrial toilet
          > paper (you know, the kind with the wood chunks
          > still in it) is the outer wrapper.

          A friend was an installation garage stock keeper until he took
          the '84 buyout.

          Damn near everything in his house has a gong/KS #; not just tools
          but staplers and rubber cement jars. We even have a picture of
          a truck in his garage -- but that was staged...

          He also has a pre-1A key system; w/ a locally built wooden
          box to hold the keys/lamps.