Re: Mt. Pony documents

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
      At 10:59 PM 4/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: John Warne <warnejw@...>
      >
      >Albert,
      >
      >GREAT information on your site.
      >
      >Wonder if the Deep Underground Command Center was ever built?

      Probably not as SAC also wanted a similar facility called the "Super Combat
      Center (SCC)". The plan was nexed due to costs. I did come a cross a
      reference to Canadian SCC that was built in North Bay, Ontario. Does
      anyone know about the North Bay site?
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
        >1. In the documents about the DUCC what is the facility that was redacted
        >from the document relative to current Command and Control Facilities. My
        >guess is Mt. Weather.

        The thing about those documents is that the deletions are fascinating in
        their own right! Since the "sanitizing" was done within the past two
        years, whatever was deleted is probably still sensitive.

        There is a mechanism under E.O. 12958 for appealing those redactions. I've
        asked the LBJ Library, which provided the documents, how to begin that
        process.

        Your suggestion of Mt. Weather brings up an interesting possibility
        because, as far as I know, there's currently no publicly-acknowledged
        defense C3I role for that facility. Rather, the place is called the
        "Emergency Assistance Center", and it's nominally run by a civilian agency.
        If there were some "black" military function there, that would certainly
        explain the deletion.

        On the first page of the Memo for the President, check out the handwritten
        notation in the upper-right corner. Most of it is illegible, but I can
        make out the phrases "past efforts", "The Rock", and "High Point".

        "The Rock" is the ANMCC, (aka Raven Rock and Site R). "High Point" was Mt.
        Weather, or an Army interagency C3I facility within the Mt. Weather
        complex.

        ...Albert
      • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
          A super combat center? Thats interesting... What really got me interested
          though was the mention of the SAC Deep Underground Facility, which the DUCC
          documents indicate was built the year before DUCC was proposed.
          George
        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
            At 12:18 PM 4/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: CLDWARHIST@...
            >
            >A super combat center? Thats interesting... What really got me interested
            >though was the mention of the SAC Deep Underground Facility, which the DUCC
            >documents indicate was built the year before DUCC was proposed.
            >George

            The Super Combat Center was proposed in 1959 and withdrawn in 1960. The
            Combat Operations Center (COC) (AKA 425L Program), began construction in
            1961 and NORAD moved from Ent AFB to Cheyenne MT in 1965. I assume the SAC
            Deep Underground Facility you refer to is Cheyenne Mt.

            Cheyenne Mt. was never considered survivable in an all out nuclear
            exchange. Even as it was being built in 1961 the Post Attack Command and
            Control (PACCS) system was being developed. To make PACCS survivable the
            plan was to put a 5,000 foot deep command center under Offutt AFB near
            Omaha. Problems with this system caused the idea to be withdrawn in 1963.
            PACCS existed with a combination of semi hard ground facilities and PACCS
            aircraft. The only PACCS semi hardened facility that I know of is "The
            Notch" at Westover AFB (http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/PACCS.htm). Efforts
            to find sister facilities at Barksdale AFB, March AFB and Offutt AFB have
            been unsuccessful.
          • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
              In a message dated 4/11/99 12:56:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              mfoster@... writes:

              << I assume the SAC
              Deep Underground Facility you refer to is Cheyenne Mt. >>
              No I dont believe so..Cheyenne Mt construction was only just starting when
              the SAC Deep underground facility was built and Cheyenne has only been a
              NORAD facility. DOD FY 65 Annual Report mentions planning began in 1966 or
              so for a alternate NORAD COC which is at Lamar, Colorado.
              George
            • Mark Foster
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
                At 01:10 PM 4/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
                >From: CLDWARHIST@...
                >
                >In a message dated 4/11/99 12:56:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                >mfoster@... writes:
                >
                ><< I assume the SAC
                > Deep Underground Facility you refer to is Cheyenne Mt. >>
                >No I dont believe so..Cheyenne Mt construction was only just starting when
                >the SAC Deep underground facility was built and Cheyenne has only been a
                >NORAD facility. DOD FY 65 Annual Report mentions planning began in 1966 or
                >so for a alternate NORAD COC which is at Lamar, Colorado.
                >George

                Are you saying a 3,500 foot deep SAC facility exists at Lamar? I don't
                believe any "deep" facility was ever built.
              • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
                  In a message dated 4/11/99 9:10:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  mfoster@... writes:

                  << Are you saying a 3,500 foot deep SAC facility exists at Lamar? I don't
                  believe any "deep" facility was ever built. >>
                  No. I'm not sure how deep the SAC DEEPUNDERGROUND FACILITY was, and it was
                  pointed out to me by one very old man in Detroit that I have no proof it was
                  built.

                  I am saying that in Lamar, Colorado, NORAD built an alternate combat
                  operations center as a backup to Cheyenne Mountain, CO.
                  George
                • Mark Foster
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
                    At 09:11 PM 4/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
                    >From: CLDWARHIST@...
                    >
                    >In a message dated 4/11/99 9:10:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    >mfoster@... writes:
                    >
                    ><< Are you saying a 3,500 foot deep SAC facility exists at Lamar? I don't
                    > believe any "deep" facility was ever built. >>
                    >No. I'm not sure how deep the SAC DEEPUNDERGROUND FACILITY was, and it was
                    >pointed out to me by one very old man in Detroit that I have no proof it was
                    >built.
                    >
                    >I am saying that in Lamar, Colorado, NORAD built an alternate combat
                    >operations center as a backup to Cheyenne Mountain, CO.
                    >George

                    Not to belabor the point but from the official NORAD history web page:

                    18 Feb 82 -- Construction work began at Peterson AFB on the NORAD Cheyenne
                    Mountain command post backup facility.

                    15 Jul 82 -- The NORAD Combat Operations Center Backup Facility, on
                    Peterson AFB, achieved initial operational capability. It would assume
                    command and control functions from the CMC in case that facility
                    experienced a failure of was disabled under conditions short of nuclear war.

                    16 Nov 82 -- The NORAD Combat Operations Center Backup Facility reached
                    Full Operational Capability.
                  • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 11, 1999
                      In a message dated 4/11/99 10:09:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      mfoster@... writes:

                      << Not to belabor the point but from the official NORAD history web pag >>
                      Thats interesting...i wonder what happened to the one i was referring to (i
                      might not of already said it but the alternate Combat Ops Center was first
                      mentioned in 1965 when planning was given a "go-ahead", where as the Peterson
                      facility that Mark mentions began in 1982...)?