Sites W/R/D/S/C/E ?

  • william simard
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
      I've heard of site "R", but never heard of the others. Anyone have
      info on the locations & usages of the other sites?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
          Hi,

          Kinda in the area and wanted to add one thing to message 8157:

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
          > <lafrance@a...> wrote:

          > Site D is on Penn Shop Road, near Damascus, MD, just south of the I-
          > 70/MD-27 interchange. It was primarily a relay station between
          > sites C and E. The last time I checked, a few years ago, there was
          > still a sign on the gate with the name and emblem of the U.S. Army
          > 1111th Signal Battalion, which operates Site R.

          Still haven't gotten out to this one. Anyone have a picture by chance?

          > Site E is in Tysons Corner, VA, near the intersection of Rt. 123
          > and Rt. 7. It was the terminal station for the network, linking
          > various defense-related facilities in the region to Site R.
          > Earlier this year, a "golf-ball" radome, like those used for
          > Doppler radar, was installed atop the tower along with a small
          > microwave dish, presumably for air defense of the Washington area.

          I saw that a few days ago for the first time and it is quite a
          modification. I also noticed the tiny "gum drop" candy style
          microwave drums pointed towards Suitland I suspect. The tower also
          has a run of rope hanging from the top and going towards the ground.
          Could there be more construction planned?

          A while back I had posted a link to an article about the use of
          NEXRAD radars to detect bioweapons releases or something but I'm
          thinking your thoughts on the radar being used for air defense are
          more correct.

          > Similar towers are located on Fort Meade and near the Suitland (MD)
          > Federal Center. All of these stations had numerous microwave
          > antennas at various times, but over the years most or all of them
          > have disappeared. Site E and the Suitland tower are now managed by
          > Fort Myer.

          The Ft. Meade tower looks similar to the Tyson's Corner and
          Suitland "box" towers but seems of newer construction. The last time
          I drove by I did not see a radar installation on top of the tower,
          but I did notice at least two circular microwave drums that looked
          like they were in good conidition... Anyone know if Ft. Meade has a
          radar installation ontop of its box tower?

          Because the Suitland tower looks identical to the one in Tyson's
          Corner. The Suitland site also has a radar installation at the top as
          well.

          -
          Parris B. Wood
        • Mike Jacobs
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
            I just posted a pic I took this year of Site D (or what I think was Site
            D, as I can't find my notes of the location, but it was on the drive
            between Monrovia and Finksburg. I'll be posting photos of those
            locations also.

            http://www.coldwarcomms.org/miscellaneous/site_d/site_d.html

            In keeping with my policy regarding facilities in current use, I am
            omitting location specific information such as directions, address,
            and GPS coordinates.

            Mike
          • pwood78
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Jacobs" <mj@s...> wrote:
              > http://www.coldwarcomms.org/miscellaneous/site_d/site_d.html

              Super cool! Thats the site since its near Damascus (Actually I
              thought it was closer to Mt. Airy). There are alot of microwave
              drums/dishes as well as some nifty looking 800mhz trunked radio
              antenna. However, what the metal things at the very top that look
              like "wings". Very cool to finally see it. Wish I had done better
              planning this trip.

              Also interesting is the transmitter building design. Looks similar to
              site E. Although on close inspection this site is missing the ladders
              that E and Suitland have.

              > In keeping with my policy regarding facilities in current use, I am
              > omitting location specific information such as directions, address,
              > and GPS coordinates.

              Don't worry. The FCC can fill you in.
            • Blake Bowers
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
                It should be remembered, the Army
                has been more than willing in the past to
                make their sites available to local and
                state government - Site C is loaded with
                VHF, UHF, 800 stuff for state and local,
                even many PA agencies have stuff on
                Site C, which is in MD.

                There is even a HAM repeater there on
                the Army tower at site C.

                My point, that is taking me through the
                woods and dale to get to, is that when
                looking at the towers, not all the equipment
                is army, or federal.