re: GWEN Site ownership

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
      George,

      I believe some of the GWEN stations used (or planned to use) commercial
      radio broadcast towers, though of course all of the GWEN equipment would be
      owned by the Air Force. The stations were unmanned. I don't know who did
      maintenance - I wouldn't be surprised if contractors were used, especially
      for the relay nodes located far from military installations.

      Last week, I e-mailed the PAO at the USAF Aerospace Command and Control &
      Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaisance Center (AC2ISRC), asking for info
      about GWEN. No response so far.

      ...Albert

      Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com

    • CLDWARHIST@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
        This question is mainly for Scott but maybe someone else can answer -

        If the GWENs were on commercial broadcast towers, but USAF equipment was
        used, were the sites considered AF property, either owned or leased? If so
        did they carry installation locator codes and were carried on installation
        and property directories?

        George
      • Scott Murdock
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2000
          George,

          I don't have enough GWEN information to give a firm answer as to those
          commercial towers you mention. The book "Nuclear Battlefields" lists
          some sites as using commercial towers (Canton OK, Colby OK, Manhattan
          KS), but I have no official documentation on those particular sites.

          Here's what I can offer on the question of "when is an installation
          really an installation?":

          In general, we think of real property (acreage) when we think of an
          "installation." I've seen cases where as little as .01 of an acre was
          leased! (The lease paperwork could cover the property!)

          Much to my surprise, I have found three installations which were merely
          "no area licenses" which allowed the Government to attach "the
          transmissometer and other fixtures" to existing utility poles owned by
          an electric company! A transmissometer is a visibility light, and these
          installations were:

          James Connally Weather Visibility Light Annex No 7 (Permanent
          Installation Number 7637)
          James Connally Weather Visibility Light Annex No 8 (7638)
          James Connally Weather Visibility Light Annex No 9 (7639)

          These "installations" were treated like any other annex on DAF special
          orders, were shown and described on civil engineering layout drawings,
          and were even listed in GSA disposal documents (last use of those three
          by the AF was 30 Sep 68).

          I hope the definitive information comes to light on the GWEN sites --
          I'll be waiting with an open mind!

          Scott

          CLDWARHIST@... wrote:

          > From: CLDWARHIST@...
          >
          > This question is mainly for Scott but maybe someone else can answer -
          >
          > If the GWENs were on commercial broadcast towers, but USAF equipment was
          > used, were the sites considered AF property, either owned or leased? If so
          > did they carry installation locator codes and were carried on installation
          > and property directories?
          >
          > George

          > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
          > no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit

          [This message contained attachments]