GWEN Site ownership

  • CLDWARHIST@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2000
      Were all GWEN sites operated and owned by the US Air Force?

      George
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
        George,

        I believe some of the GWEN stations used (or planned to use) commercial
        radio broadcast towers, though of course all of the GWEN equipment would be
        owned by the Air Force. The stations were unmanned. I don't know who did
        maintenance - I wouldn't be surprised if contractors were used, especially
        for the relay nodes located far from military installations.

        Last week, I e-mailed the PAO at the USAF Aerospace Command and Control &
        Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaisance Center (AC2ISRC), asking for info
        about GWEN. No response so far.

        ...Albert

        Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com

      • CLDWARHIST@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
          This question is mainly for Scott but maybe someone else can answer -

          If the GWENs were on commercial broadcast towers, but USAF equipment was
          used, were the sites considered AF property, either owned or leased? If so
          did they carry installation locator codes and were carried on installation
          and property directories?

          George
        • Scott Murdock
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2000
            George,

            I don't have enough GWEN information to give a firm answer as to those
            commercial towers you mention. The book "Nuclear Battlefields" lists
            some sites as using commercial towers (Canton OK, Colby OK, Manhattan
            KS), but I have no official documentation on those particular sites.

            Here's what I can offer on the question of "when is an installation
            really an installation?":

            In general, we think of real property (acreage) when we think of an
            "installation." I've seen cases where as little as .01 of an acre was
            leased! (The lease paperwork could cover the property!)

            Much to my surprise, I have found three installations which were merely
            "no area licenses" which allowed the Government to attach "the
            transmissometer and other fixtures" to existing utility poles owned by
            an electric company! A transmissometer is a visibility light, and these
            installations were:

            James Connally Weather Visibility Light Annex No 7 (Permanent
            Installation Number 7637)
            James Connally Weather Visibility Light Annex No 8 (7638)
            James Connally Weather Visibility Light Annex No 9 (7639)

            These "installations" were treated like any other annex on DAF special
            orders, were shown and described on civil engineering layout drawings,
            and were even listed in GSA disposal documents (last use of those three
            by the AF was 30 Sep 68).

            I hope the definitive information comes to light on the GWEN sites --
            I'll be waiting with an open mind!

            Scott

            CLDWARHIST@... wrote:

            > From: CLDWARHIST@...
            >
            > This question is mainly for Scott but maybe someone else can answer -
            >
            > If the GWENs were on commercial broadcast towers, but USAF equipment was
            > used, were the sites considered AF property, either owned or leased? If so
            > did they carry installation locator codes and were carried on installation
            > and property directories?
            >
            > George

            > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
            > no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit

            [This message contained attachments]