re: AT&T Faulkner, MD

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2000
      My last report on this topic noted that old FCC records show a microwave
      path from the Faulkner AUTOVON-FTS station to Corbin, VA.

      Looking further at the records, I see the route continues generally south.
      From north to south, the stations are Faulkner, Corbin, Coatesvile,
      Powhatan, Amelia, Victoria, and Boydton. The next station to the south
      would be in NC, but I don't have records for that state.

      A while ago, I mentioned Corps of Engineers reports on a series of
      government-owned microwave stations going south through VA, which were shut
      down around 1967. Tim Tyler identified these as probably being part of an
      Army link from the Pentagon to Fort Bragg, NC.

      The AT&T route from Corbin roughly parallels the Army route - in fact, the
      Boydton station is only about 7 mi. from the Army's Union Level station.
      So I'm wondering if AUTOVON replaced the Army's "private" circuit to Ft.
      Bragg.

      ...Albert