re: AT&T/American Tower sites

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
      Ken,

      Thanks for your insight into the tower business. I've noticed how American
      is gobbling up sites here in the DC area. They own a big multi-tenant FM
      tower a few miles from my house, and they've got the old Western Union
      tower in NW DC, as well as a lot of the AT&T sites.

      I haven't seen any AT&T horns removed under American's ownership.
      Generally, the only horns taken down around here were those on the downtown
      COs, and that was done some time ago, apparently by Bell Atlantic. There
      is one AT&T site (Germantown, MD) where the microwave antennas were removed
      to make room for a large number of cellular arrays.

      It will be interesting to see what American does with the AT&T sites. Some
      of them were looking a little shabby. I can imagine that the scrap value
      of the horns wouldn't justify the cost of a rigger to remove them, and that
      the launching networks wouldn't be of much use today. BTW, those networks
      are interesting to see up close, especially the ones which have three
      rectangular waveguides of different sizes going into them from the radios,
      and a single circular guide going up to the the antenna. I'll bet most of
      the people who are installing cell sites at those towers don't have any
      idea what that stuff did.

      ...Albert
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
        Also, it looks like the AT&T site names are in all upper-case letters on
        the database listing by state.

        ...Albert

        From: Daryl Gibson <drgibson@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2000
          Mike,

          The American Tower web site has had its share of operational anomalies,
          including a brief period when a search for towers in VA would bring up a
          list of CA locations! It seems to be working OK at this moment - the
          SiteSearch link should being up a list box where you can search by state,
          and a set of boxes for a lat-lon-radius search.

          There are some interesting former AT&T sites listed. I was surprised to
          see Omps, WV (misfiled under VA) is an American Tower property, since it
          is/was Mount Weather's AT&T microwave interface. At least, I'm pretty sure
          it's the AT&T site; there's a 1-sec. difference in latitude and a 3-sec.
          difference in longitude versus the March '98 FCC database, perhaps
          attributable to the NAD27-83 conversion. The ground AMSL elevations are
          identical.

          Also, American Tower now owns the Kates (misspelled "Ketes") Mountain site
          in WV - this was the AT&T link for the Greenbrier bunker, and one of a long
          chain of stations. Again, a slight lat/lon difference vs. the old FCC
          records.

          ...Albert

          From: "Mike Jacobs" <mwj116@...>