AT&T station at Mount Weather

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2000
      AT&T has an actively-licensed microwave station, callsign WPNL603, on the
      property of the Mount Weather Emergency Assistance Center. The station,
      deceptively named WASHINGTON 4, talks to a station near Whitacre, WV, on a
      mountain in Cacapon State Park.

      The Mt. Weather station is located on the west side of the mountain, at an
      elevation of 1600 ft. That puts it about 80 ft. below the public road
      which divides the facility.

      I've posted a USGS aerial image of the west side, and marked the location
      of the AT&T station with a red box. The URL is
      http://bellsystem.homestead.com/files/places/washington4/aerial.jpg .

      On that image, Rt. 601 is the straight road which cuts across the SE corner
      of the image, touching the USGS logo. The terrain slopes downward to the
      west, with the buildings laid out along the road which winds its way down
      the mountain. As I recall, the only structure visible from Rt. 601 is the
      large building at the east side of the image. The open area south of the
      building, separated from it by a patch of trees, contains some HF antennas.

      The original image with lat/lon markers can be viewed at:

      http://terraserver.microsoft.com/imageinfo.asp?S=10&T=1&X=1247&Y=21638&Z=18
      &W=1&O=3907757SE&P=379+km+SW+of+New+York%2C+New+York%2C+United+States

      Use the Back button to view the image without markers, and to navigate
      around.

      If anyone wants to double-check the AT&T facility location (which I'd
      welcome), its NAD83 coordinates from the FCC database are N39 03 43.3, W77
      53 40.9 .

      ...Albert