Re: AT&T/American Tower sites

  • Ken Hoehn
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
      Good points, Daryl, but again, from the point of view of the management
      business, the cost of removal of such an involved system such as a KS
      and it's waveguide is so substantial that it will not be done unless it
      needs to be done, or a buyer is available for the old stuff.

      If there is absolutely no other way to mount a new customer, you can bet
      those horns will go bye-bye. You can bet the farm on it. But faced
      with the cost of that, a side mount arrangement around them would be
      much more preferable to most users.

      In the several hundred sites we have, we have 3 old MCI self-supporting
      sites; there are cellular arrays on each. We've been lucky....have not
      had to remove the biggies yet. There is one array that is circled
      around the tower at the same level as two Andrew horns.....was no
      problem.

      But....get that documentation going! I'm just trying to say to not quit
      your day job! <g>

      KWH

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
        Ken,

        Thanks for your insight into the tower business. I've noticed how American
        is gobbling up sites here in the DC area. They own a big multi-tenant FM
        tower a few miles from my house, and they've got the old Western Union
        tower in NW DC, as well as a lot of the AT&T sites.

        I haven't seen any AT&T horns removed under American's ownership.
        Generally, the only horns taken down around here were those on the downtown
        COs, and that was done some time ago, apparently by Bell Atlantic. There
        is one AT&T site (Germantown, MD) where the microwave antennas were removed
        to make room for a large number of cellular arrays.

        It will be interesting to see what American does with the AT&T sites. Some
        of them were looking a little shabby. I can imagine that the scrap value
        of the horns wouldn't justify the cost of a rigger to remove them, and that
        the launching networks wouldn't be of much use today. BTW, those networks
        are interesting to see up close, especially the ones which have three
        rectangular waveguides of different sizes going into them from the radios,
        and a single circular guide going up to the the antenna. I'll bet most of
        the people who are installing cell sites at those towers don't have any
        idea what that stuff did.

        ...Albert
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
          Also, it looks like the AT&T site names are in all upper-case letters on
          the database listing by state.

          ...Albert

          From: Daryl Gibson <drgibson@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2000
            Mike,

            The American Tower web site has had its share of operational anomalies,
            including a brief period when a search for towers in VA would bring up a
            list of CA locations! It seems to be working OK at this moment - the
            SiteSearch link should being up a list box where you can search by state,
            and a set of boxes for a lat-lon-radius search.

            There are some interesting former AT&T sites listed. I was surprised to
            see Omps, WV (misfiled under VA) is an American Tower property, since it
            is/was Mount Weather's AT&T microwave interface. At least, I'm pretty sure
            it's the AT&T site; there's a 1-sec. difference in latitude and a 3-sec.
            difference in longitude versus the March '98 FCC database, perhaps
            attributable to the NAD27-83 conversion. The ground AMSL elevations are
            identical.

            Also, American Tower now owns the Kates (misspelled "Ketes") Mountain site
            in WV - this was the AT&T link for the Greenbrier bunker, and one of a long
            chain of stations. Again, a slight lat/lon difference vs. the old FCC
            records.

            ...Albert

            From: "Mike Jacobs" <mwj116@...>