Burning Hand

  • Sam Etler
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      Does anyone know anything about a US military operation called Burning
      Hand? I was reading an article in Wikipedia about KAL 007 and saw this:

      "the US routinely conducted Burning Hand flights to test the USSRs air
      defense systems, and lost several planes on such missions."

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAL_007>

      I'm unable to find other references to this. Anyone here ever heard of
      it?

      sam

      ---
      The trouble with the world is that it's always one drink behind.
      -- Humphrey Bogart
    • Mike Magnus
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        Not much help, but from http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/codenames.html :

        Burning Hand SAC OpOrd for C-130 overfly missions of USSR

        -Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
          Jim Innes asked me to pass along the following response:

          "I don't recall the designation "project Burning Hand", but the definitive
          work on the downing of KAL 007 is The Target Is Destroyed by Seymour Hersh.
          It is a highly detailed and skeptical analysis of the theory that US Forces
          more or less facilitated KAL OO7 to continue on its incorrect course as a
          very welcome opportunity to observe and Soviet air defense system collect
          data on their operations in an active mode. Whatever the name of the
          project, the book extensively discusses a whole host of USAF ELINT
          operations relative to data collection and monitoring of Soviet air defense
          systems in and around the Sakhalin islands. I have a copy, but I haven't
          looked at it for a long, long time."