Re: AT&T/American Tower sites

  • Daryl Gibson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2000
      It took me a while to figure out that you need to access it
      using Internet Explorer....I haven't stopped to figure out why...I
      suspect
      they are using something that uses a function particular to JScript.
      When
      I use Netscape, I can't get into the database, but with IE, there it
      is....

      Mike Jacobs wrote:

      > From: "Mike Jacobs" <mwj116@...>
      >
      > I have been watching the American Tower site for some time, and I
      > don't actually see a list of their sites. When I follow the
      > "SiteSearch" link, it just tells me that I will be able to search their
      > database of sites, without actually telling me how. Am I missing a
      > link? Or is their site (website) on the fritz?
      >

      > Mike Jacobs, N3YAV
      > Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
      > Penn State University
      > State College, PA

      > select the Member Center link from the menu bar on the left.

    • Ken Hoehn
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
        Good points, Daryl, but again, from the point of view of the management
        business, the cost of removal of such an involved system such as a KS
        and it's waveguide is so substantial that it will not be done unless it
        needs to be done, or a buyer is available for the old stuff.

        If there is absolutely no other way to mount a new customer, you can bet
        those horns will go bye-bye. You can bet the farm on it. But faced
        with the cost of that, a side mount arrangement around them would be
        much more preferable to most users.

        In the several hundred sites we have, we have 3 old MCI self-supporting
        sites; there are cellular arrays on each. We've been lucky....have not
        had to remove the biggies yet. There is one array that is circled
        around the tower at the same level as two Andrew horns.....was no
        problem.

        But....get that documentation going! I'm just trying to say to not quit
        your day job! <g>

        KWH

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
          Ken,

          Thanks for your insight into the tower business. I've noticed how American
          is gobbling up sites here in the DC area. They own a big multi-tenant FM
          tower a few miles from my house, and they've got the old Western Union
          tower in NW DC, as well as a lot of the AT&T sites.

          I haven't seen any AT&T horns removed under American's ownership.
          Generally, the only horns taken down around here were those on the downtown
          COs, and that was done some time ago, apparently by Bell Atlantic. There
          is one AT&T site (Germantown, MD) where the microwave antennas were removed
          to make room for a large number of cellular arrays.

          It will be interesting to see what American does with the AT&T sites. Some
          of them were looking a little shabby. I can imagine that the scrap value
          of the horns wouldn't justify the cost of a rigger to remove them, and that
          the launching networks wouldn't be of much use today. BTW, those networks
          are interesting to see up close, especially the ones which have three
          rectangular waveguides of different sizes going into them from the radios,
          and a single circular guide going up to the the antenna. I'll bet most of
          the people who are installing cell sites at those towers don't have any
          idea what that stuff did.

          ...Albert
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
            Also, it looks like the AT&T site names are in all upper-case letters on
            the database listing by state.

            ...Albert

            From: Daryl Gibson <drgibson@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 12, 2000
              Mike,

              The American Tower web site has had its share of operational anomalies,
              including a brief period when a search for towers in VA would bring up a
              list of CA locations! It seems to be working OK at this moment - the
              SiteSearch link should being up a list box where you can search by state,
              and a set of boxes for a lat-lon-radius search.

              There are some interesting former AT&T sites listed. I was surprised to
              see Omps, WV (misfiled under VA) is an American Tower property, since it
              is/was Mount Weather's AT&T microwave interface. At least, I'm pretty sure
              it's the AT&T site; there's a 1-sec. difference in latitude and a 3-sec.
              difference in longitude versus the March '98 FCC database, perhaps
              attributable to the NAD27-83 conversion. The ground AMSL elevations are
              identical.

              Also, American Tower now owns the Kates (misspelled "Ketes") Mountain site
              in WV - this was the AT&T link for the Greenbrier bunker, and one of a long
              chain of stations. Again, a slight lat/lon difference vs. the old FCC
              records.

              ...Albert

              From: "Mike Jacobs" <mwj116@...>