Re: [coldwarcomms] VeriZon/GTE/etc. (re: manholes)

  • Stanley Cline
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2004
      On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Mike Magnus wrote:

      > Nope, it was originally Middle States Tel, then Centel, then
      > Sprint/Centel, then Ameritech and finally SBC. Des Plaines, Park Ridge
      > and parts of Chicago, IL.

      That explains it -- you were an island of Centel (etc.) in a sea of Bell,
      and so IllBell/Ameritech/SBC had no real choice but to cut through those
      towns. I know of other independent islands around the Southeast
      (Simpsonville SC, Farragut/"Concord" TN, etc.) where there are BellSouth
      signs/manholes/etc. yet BellSouth has no phone service in those towns.
      Of course, I've seen BellSouth fiber route signs rather deep within
      independent territory, too (and occasionally I've seen independent telco
      fiber route signs in BellSouth territory, and I've seen South Central Bell
      signs in South Carolina, which is and has always been Southern Bell...)

      -SC
      --
      Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
      "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might