Re: Re: Scipio/Delta Sites

  • Daryl Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2000
      > went south to Meadow, then over to a site in the Confusion Mountains.

      Sorry...the site was in the Cricket Mountains...not that it matters to
      anyone.
      Another site was in the Confusion Mountains, "down the road a piece"....
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
        Daryl,

        Thanks for posting those pictures and descriptions. I, too, am very
        interested in the old AT&T microwave routes.

        The Autovon site is particularly interesting. It looks like quite a large
        building, and has an architectural style I've never seen before. Are there
        any defense installations in the area?

        The FCC database shows three stations in the Delta area. There's the
        AUTOVON station and the station adjacent to it, and another station about 5
        miles to the NW in downtown Delta.

        You make a excellent point about the possibility that American Tower may
        remove the microwave antennas at the AT&T towers they've bought. It might
        be advisable for us to document the azimuths of those antennas, since the
        data about many of the old links have been purged from the FCC database,
        and the antennas provide the only clues as to where they went.

        BTW, I have a small web site devoted to AT&T microwave links in the
        Washington DC area, at http://bellsystem.homestead.com It's still very
        incomplete, with only a few stations listed, but it will give you an idea
        of what I'm trying to do.

        Let me know if I can be of any help with your project.

        ...Albert
      • Julian Allason
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
          Albert noted:

          >The Autovon site is particularly interesting. It looks like quite a large
          >building, and has an architectural style I've never seen before

          A newly posted British page http://fp.coldwar.f9.co.uk/autovon.html
          describes the abandoned Autovon exchhange in Ipswitch, England, with some
          interesting pictures.

          Julian