Re: Interference to satcom

  • David Josephson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2004
      We're investigating using some of the abandoned 4 GHz frequencies and
      have been looking at the lore and apocrypha on frequency coordination
      with other services. 4 GHz is a problem not because the terrestrial
      energy points at the satellite -- it doesn't -- but because even our
      best KS horns have quite a bit of side spill and this signal gets into
      satellite downlink receivers. For this reason many commercial earth
      stations are located in valleys where the terrain effectively blocks all
      terrestrial microwave energy. The flyswatter issue pertains not to
      geosynchronous satellites but certain other orbital assets that happened
      to get the full blast when passing overhead. Such systems apparently
      relied on everything in the 6 GHz uplink band being either directed to
      the Clarke belt over the equator, or to some terrestrial receiver.