Re: Two Articles on Verizon in Detroit

  • pwood78
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2004
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Wayne M H <lists454@t...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:16:21 -0400, paul rosa <prosa@c...>
      > wrote:

      > Not appropriate but given Michigan, as it certainly isn't comprised
      > of mountainous terrain in rural areas similar to Northern
      > California, 650 would cover a LOT of Michigan; three quarters at
      > least. The network I work within probably covers 1500-2000 square
      > miles and we have roughly 250 cell sites covering that area
      > (1900MHz). Maybe 1/8 of it is difficult to cover due to terrain.
      > With VZW on 800 the site radius's are much larger and would require
      > less cell sites in comparison.

      I was only amazed becasue when I read the article it seemed like the
      650 were for the Detroit market only and split amongst those four
      MTSOs the article mentions. If its the state then that sounds more
      realistic.

      > Someone else mentioned VZW to be paranoid and that seems the same
      > out here. The tech SUVs are unmarked but there are a lot of Astro
      > Vans with logos - probably engineering - and the buildings are
      > unmarked. About all you get at a cell site is the logo on the door
      > and the cell number. They inherited the network from GTE who new
      > how to build cell sites. Many of their original sites were tough,
      > large concrete block buildings with gensets and a microwave
      > backhaul. Now VZW just throws in a prefab shelter and a MW link.
      > They're using the same equipment we are now and yet they still
      > plant a shelter and use the indoor versions of the equipment. Must
      > be nice!

      From what I've seen only Alltel and Sprint PCS have marked vehicals.
      Maybe T-Mobile does. Nextel contractors now sport little black and
      yellow magnetic logos. I was told by the brother of a SunCom tech
      this is done by most carriers to avoid lawsuits by people
      intentionally trying to get into car accidents and then suing the
      carrier. I've seen the Verizon Wireless astro van, however down here
      it looks like it is used to ferry supplies to the corporate/flag ship
      stores. Only Sprint PCS seems to use Astro vans for RF.

      GTE never marked their sites here. They had a sign that gave a site
      number, FCC info and a 1-800 contact number. Probably what you guys
      have out there. BAM however seems to mark most of their sites. Since
      the merger they've even gone back and updated many of their site id
      signs to say VeriZon Wireless...