Mattoon, Illinois AT&T tower (KSB71)

  • roarker990
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      Does anyone have information about the status of the microwave tower
      south of Mattoon, Illinois (on U.S. Route 45, directly across from
      Lake Land Community College)? I notice that this tower has the call
      number KSB71, and was NOT included in the American Tower purchase
      from AT&T. Four KS-15676 horns are still present on the tower,
      which appears to be approximately 150' high (not sure about the
      height, however.) Is this tower still in use? The towers directly
      east and west (Kansas and Lakewood) were both purchased by American
      Tower, leaving this one sort of isolated. The building appears to
      be in decent shape, but it doesn't appear to be in use.

      Does anyone know when this tower would've been constructed? I'm
      guessing early 1960's, but that just a guess.

      I have a few photos that I will post shortly.
    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
        > Does anyone have information about the status of the microwave tower
        > south of Mattoon, Illinois (on U.S. Route 45, directly across from
        > Lake Land Community College)? I notice that this tower has the call
        > number KSB71, and was NOT included in the American Tower purchase
        > from AT&T. Four KS-15676 horns are still present on the tower,

        I believe you will find fiber in that building at that site, there
        was a fiber route from there to Jewett.

        Of course, there are two mattoons......
      • s92187
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roarker990" <kentreel@y...>
          wrote:
          > Does anyone have information about the status of the microwave
          tower
          > south of Mattoon, Illinois (on U.S. Route 45, directly across from
          > Lake Land Community College)? I notice that this tower has the
          call
          > number KSB71, and was NOT included in the American Tower purchase
          > from AT&T. Four KS-15676 horns are still present on the tower,
          > which appears to be approximately 150' high (not sure about the
          > height, however.) Is this tower still in use? The towers directly
          > east and west (Kansas and Lakewood) were both purchased by American
          > Tower, leaving this one sort of isolated. The building appears to
          > be in decent shape, but it doesn't appear to be in use.
          >
          > Does anyone know when this tower would've been constructed? I'm
          > guessing early 1960's, but that just a guess.
          >
          > I have a few photos that I will post shortly.

          The tower is currently owned by Spectrasite, I have no idea how they
          ended up with it.

          This site was a repeater on one of AT&T's earliest routes, built
          around 1951 or 1952, and was also one of the first sites to be
          upgraded for interstitial channels about 8 years later. The tower
          had 4 delay lens antennas on the top platform when originally
          constructed. The route ran from Indianapolis to St. Louis.

          Terry Michaels
          Tower Sites, Inc.