AT&T Las Vegas Site photos

  • sdsewage
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2004
      Posted photos of AT&T Las Vegas Toll office and the Las Vegas II
      microwave site. Anyone have additional info on this Las Vegas II
      site?

      Jon

      http://www.thecentraloffice.com/NV/AT&T%20Vegas/Lsvgatt.htm
    • s92187
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2004
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "sdsewage" <sdsewage@a...> wrote:
        > Posted photos of AT&T Las Vegas Toll office and the Las Vegas II
        > microwave site. Anyone have additional info on this Las Vegas II
        > site?
        >
        > Jon
        >
        > http://www.thecentraloffice.com/NV/AT&T%20Vegas/Lsvgatt.htm

        Hi Jon:

        I have a number of photos of this tower taken in 1974 showing that it
        had 4 horn antennas and 2 dish antennas at that time. The tower was
        constructed shortly before then to replace an older tower just a few
        feet away that had a number of parabolic dish antennas on it. Other
        info I've seen indicates this site provided a video feed using cabled
        wire pairs to the main central office.

        Initially Las Vegas was the termination point of a microwave route
        from Los Angeles, that route was built in the mid '50s.

        Terry Michaels
        Tower Sites, Inc.
      • Daryl R. Gibson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20, 2004
          --- sdsewage <sdsewage@...> wrote:
          > Posted photos of AT&T Las Vegas Toll office and the Las Vegas II
          > microwave site. Anyone have additional info on this Las Vegas II
          > site?
          >
          > Jon

          It now appears to be populated with an ATTWS (AT&T Wireless) switch.
          Clark County assessor records say building ownership passed to ATTWS in
          2002, probably at the time of the spinoff. I suspect it still has AT&T
          equipment co-located in it as well (fiber, etc.), although that may go
          all the way to sixth street, behind the Sprint CO. There appear to be
          no
          AT&T switches in the building, just Wireless. Unknown what the Cingular
          acquisition will do to it.

          The building was originally owned by "Bell Telephone Company of
          Nevada",
          which, of course, was Pacific Telephone, appearing as Nevada Bell. For
          some reason, PacTel seemed to own a lot of facilities that were used by
          Long Lines, such as Mohave. It was transfered to AT&T Communications at
          the time of the breakup.

          And as far as I know, there was no connection from Arden to the Las
          Vegas Valley. It was a straight shot from Arrow Canyon to Arden, and
          then traffic was backhauled from Turquoise to Potosi or Angels Peak and
          then to the Long Lines office on Trop. I don't believe Angels Peak was
          solely military, but I could be wrong. I appears to be part of a
          Reno-LV
          circuit.

          The MW map suggests there was some sort of peering arrangements
          somewhere other than just through the back door of the sixth street/LV
          Blvd locations; LV II is adjacent to the Sprint CO in the same block,
          for example, and the MW map suggests Sprint and Long Lines both had
          facilities on top of Potosi, with some peering there, or possibly
          through an over-the-air link.

          =====
          "As you ramble through life, brother, no matter what your goal,
          keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole"
          --Dr. Murray Banks, quoting a menu
          Daryl R. Gibson, MCSE (801)489-6348, (702)734-6153
        • allanbourdius
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2004
            The site labeled as "Las Vegas II" on your pictures is an active
            AT&T Wireless switch location, at least it was during 2000 and 2001
            anyway. It's one of many ATT/ATTWS sites I either was in personally
            or sent install teams to. Don't know about now though...

            Allan