Fwd: Re: [Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages

  • Chris Ness
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2004
      I don't know if any of you subscribe to dshield or not. It is a network
      security mailing list. The topic was a Homeland Security edict restricting
      knowlege of network outages. But this one had defunite relevance for us.

    • Chris Ness
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2004
        (Sorry about that. This version of kmail is a strange mail client)

        From: Kenneth Coney <superc@...>
        Subject: Re: [Dshield] DHS wants to silence reporting of network outages

        Here is a truth that explains how smart they are. About 5 years ago I
        was doing soil inspections on a small construction job in a lightly
        built area of VA. A trench had to be dug for a water line under a
        parking lot. Miss Utility was called and showed us where the power and
        gas lines were and as everything agreed with the plans the trench was
        dug in the morning. About 4 hours later the Department of Defense and
        the police showed up. Seems the back hoe had cut a secret fiber optic
        line that snaked under the site and kept on going. Once it was
        established we were not intentional saboteurs and merely legitimate
        ditch builders discussions began. Needless to say the line (which
        looked like someone's old discarded VCR cable, typical trash encountered
        when digging slit trenches near cities and was therefore ignored when
        cut by the bucket) was on no plans available to the public. Miss
        Utility was called back and arrived because DOD initially said the
        construction company was responsible for the cost of repairing the line
        and that didn't sit well with the company that had gotten the all clear
        from Miss Utility. Lots of phone calls later it was determined no
        documents in Miss Utilities records referenced the lines. The DOD
        people explained of course they didn't since the line was a secret
        line. (All work had halted by now and I just hung around sipping a
        Slurpy and listening to the nonsense.) Finally we were told DOD would
        repair the line this time, but we would be liable for future cuts. The
        builders asked where the line went and was told they couldn't be told
        because it was a secret line and under their rules while we might have
        learned of a tiny portion of the line we were not cleared to learn of
        more of it. I was asked to produce the plans of where we were going to
        dig, and I did so. We were told we couldn't dig "there." We said
        where? and were told we couldn't be shown the exact spot, because it
        was secret but our plans did involve the probable future cutting of the
        line. By now an owner had arrived and he was furious. Calls to
        lawyers, etc. The DOD rep who had called his bosses was now talking
        about an injunction to prevent further construction and he was presented
        with a notice of a counter intent to file a lawsuit for loss of income
        in perpetuity for loss of the new building and all future incomes. They
        were also advised some other companies had bought the woods behind us
        and DOD needed to include their construction projects in the injunction
        too, and asked if they had bothered to notify the county planners that
        all future construction would be prohibited along the path of the line
        and maybe a county supervisor or three needed to come to this meeting?
        (Around now the police laughed and left for other calls.) Being bored
        and out of Slurpee I pointed out by asking if a court injunction barring
        all building along a certain corridor was sought, wouldn't that be the
        same thing, once a map of the banned zone was made, as showing the world
        where the line was and where it went? The DOD rep really didn't like
        that one and left the trailer to make some more calls. The upshot of it
        all was several days later someone clearable was attached to Miss
        Utility and came by with plans shown to no one and walked around our
        site chalk marking the intersection of our plans with the line and
        left. We used care in those areas, cut no more cable and finished the
        site. Presumably other builders along the line also had the same
        visitor to their sites once their construction began. Sometimes secrets
        can be an obstacle to progress.
      • rnepereny
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2004
          thats some funny stuff there. I wonder how many cable cuts are
          encountered a year because of "secret cables". lol. Whereas other
          utility companies are required by law to mark facilities usually in
          72 hours (at least in GA). Kinda defeats the whole purpose of one-
          call huh? I wonder who hold the as-builts for those secret
          cables. ;)