Re: [coldwarcomms] tower in damascus maryland

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "fx_hiker" <fx_hiker@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 12:48 PM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] tower in damascus maryland

      > I had to drive up through Damascus Md yesterday and saw a microwave
      > tower resembling the one at Tyson's Corner. I assume this is a well
      > documented part of the same present or former network as Tysons, but
      > I'm wondering if someone could discuss it's significance if they
      > know....
      >

      > Chuck

      The tower was called Site D, and was part of the microwave radio network
      linking the Alternate Joint Communications Center (Site R) with government
      facilities in the Washington area. Specifically, Site D was a relay station
      between the AJCC (and/or and its nearby radio terminal, Site C on Quirauk
      Mountain, which has a similar tower) and the Tysons Corner tower, called
      Site E.

      The stations are discussed briefly in the following document:
      http://coldwar-c4i.net/AJCC/xx-MAY-1951.html

      The following diagram shows an early concept for the network, with Damascus
      presumably being the station identified as RELAY:
      http://coldwar-c4i.net/AJCC/AJCC-MW-1951.html

      Albert
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
        On my route to Champaign, IL from Chicago, I take
        Route 47. Right near O'Dell, IL there is what appears
        to be an ATT tower. It has the dual horns. Anyone
        have any info on this site? I have pictures if
        somebody wants to host them.
        Thanks,
        Scott

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
          I show two AT&T towers in Odell
          > On my route to Champaign, IL from Chicago, I take
          > Route 47. Right near O'Dell, IL there is what appears
          > to be an ATT tower. It has the dual horns. Anyone
          > have any info on this site? I have pictures if
          > somebody wants to host them.
          > Thanks,
          > Scott

        • s92187
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Blake Bowers <bbowers@t...>
            wrote:
            > I show two AT&T towers in Odell

            Hi Scott:

            AT&T called this site Odell 1, there is a similar repeater site about
            4 - 5 miles west of Odell called, of all things, Odell 2. Both sites
            talked to Norway and Saybrook, Odell 1 had a side route to Manteno,
            Odell 2 had a side route to Benson.

            Terry Michaels
            Tower Sites, Inc.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 2004
                Thanks for the info. I think I was at the western of
                the O'Dell sites. It's about a mile W of RT47. It's
                a pretty big tower. There's 4 horns on the top. 2N
                and 2S. There's also 2 halfway down and pointing NE.
                There's 3 others farther down pointing in other
                directions. The big concrete shelter is there too.

                I wish I would have realized I was that close to the
                Norway site. Next time I take a trip down south, i'm
                going to swing by there.

                These towers and their history are rather interesting
                and fun to look at!