Re: L-4 site in West Fla?

  • John Warne
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 1999
      McCoy AFB (now Orlando International Airport) is south of Orlando, so that
      doesn't match. BTW, there is a B-52 on static display on airport grounds.

      I thought about MacDill, but the dot on the map "looks" farther north.
      'Course, I'm assuming the cartographer / illustrator was pretty accurate
      with his dots, since Windermere (FL), Ellisville (FL), Monticello (GA), and
      Stanfield (NC) are placed accuratly.

      Also, MacDill (Tampa) is in GTE territory, even back when AT&T ruled the
      country.

      Thanks for the thoughts, though.

      At 22:38 04/10/1999 EDT, you wrote:
      >From: CLDWARHIST@...
      >
      >How about the old McCoy AFB in central Orlando? MacDill AFB is probably
      more
      >likely but that is all the way down in Tampa.
      >
      >George

      >New hobbies? New curiosities? New enthusiasms?
      >http://www.ONElist.com
      >Sign up for a new e-mail list today!

    • John Warne
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 1999
        The site west of Jacksonville is Ellisville. The small "x" north of
        Ellisville is Ocilla, GA, a power station for the repeaters used on the L-4
        (and, later, L-5 carrier service). Ocilla has been abandoned. The "x"'s
        represent other power stations on the route.

        As I understand from talking with various persons, a typical AT&T
        underground was sited some 30-40-50 miles outside of a likely-targeted
        metro area, and connected via underground to the other sites.

        Each underground site had connection to non-hardened, surface AT&T Central
        Offices. The map on Mark's site shows lines of different styles (solid,
        dashed, 'squiggle'), representing the different circuits.

        The central Florida one in the middle is Windermere. It connected to the
        south to Pensaco (outside Miami). Note there's a power station between
        Pensaco and Windermere.

        I think the line going west from Windermere is solid, representing L-4
        service. L-4 didn't have to serve only undergrounds, though, I guess. The 3
        sites I have visited were underground, though (and the Stanfield, NC, site
        is supposed to be underground).

        The dashed line from Windermere could be into Clearwater or Tampa. I'd
        expect there was AUTOVAN circuits and a switch in the MacDill area.

        The line from Windermere to the east is, I'd guess, serving an office North
        of Patrick AFB / Kennedy Space Center and south of Daytona Beach. I can't
        tell from Mark's map what service is on the route, but I'd be surprised if
        the office were underground (high watertable that close to the ocean).

        At 01:10 04/11/1999 EDT, you wrote:
        >Thanks for the email, I finally got Marks page working so I can look at the
        >map. McCoy AFB was once a B-52 bomber base in case you didnt know (hence
        the
        >bomber on static display). I wont bore you with the base history.
        >
        >Look at the two sites in the Tampa general area... I'd say the one thats
        >closest to the ocean (lower of the 2 dots) is in the vicinity of Clearwater,
        >FL? Those sites in central/east florida (their in the middle of the state
        >roughly) also caught my attention...any idea who they are? I can make out
        >miami and jacksonville on the maps also
        >
        >According to the Federation of American Scientists, the Deep Underground
        >Command Center was never built.
        >George

        -
        John Warne, Gainesville FL, ICQ: 813882
        Kenwood R-1000 HF, WinRadio WR-1500e, R/S 2004.
        -30-
      • Mark Foster
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 1999
          At 10:28 PM 4/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >From: John Warne <warnejw@...>
          >
          >The L-4 map on Mark Foster's web site has a red dot located west of
          >Windermere (Orlando), near the central Gulf coast of Florida.
          >
          >Anyone have information on a more exact location?
          >
          >I feel the urge to do some eyeball exploration this next week if I can
          >narrow the search area a bit.
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >-
          >John Warne, Gainesville FL, ICQ: 813882
          >Kenwood R-1000 HF, WinRadio WR-1500e, R/S 2004.

          Just a wild guess but if the L carrier system in FL is similar to New
          England I would suspect a non hardened CO or microwave station serving as a
          tie to the Tampa/St Pete area. The fact that it is at the end of an L
          carrier line without a 2nd L carrier line indicates it does not have
          hardened redundancy. You will notice all important nodes have multiple feeds.