FLASH -- History Channel TONIGHT

  • hooligan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2004
      The History Channel this evening (USA) is featuring two programs of interest
      to members of this group.

      The first one is called 'The Doomsday Clock' & is about the history of the
      'clock' on the cover of each Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, depicting their
      interpretation of how close we are to another nuclear war:

      *****************
      Developed in 1947 as an image to symbolize urgency in the Cold War and the
      threat of nuclear disaster, the mission of the Doomsday Clock has expanded to
      include non-nuclear global security issues. Maintained by the Board of
      Directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, it's based at the University
      of Chicago. In response to world events, they move the clock's minute hand
      closer to or away from midnight--doomsday. In this hour, we cover the clock's
      history, its effectiveness, and its critics.
      *****************

      The second program, airing immediately afterwards, is about "the Football"
      and the WHMO Mil Aide team that carries it for the NCA:

      *****************
      Considered the world's most dangerous handbag, its contents enable the U.S.
      President to authorize a nuclear launch anytime, anywhere. Carried by a
      military aide, the President's Emergency Satchel, commonly called the Nuclear
      Football, is always within reach, whenever the President leaves the White House,
      whether for a jog or on a state visit abroad. From creation during the Cold
      War years of the Kennedy Administration to today, we detail the Football's
      history, protocol, safeguards, and rare mishaps.

      Both of these programs may be airing any time for those of you in eastern
      CONUS, & run from 8-10PM on The History Channel - West for those of us on
      the western portion of CONUS.

      _http://www.historychannel.com/_ (http://www.historychannel.com/)

      Tim