Re: [coldwarcomms] ATCRBS

  • David Josephson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2004
      Re the discussion of a transponder "reply" light coming on solid, Brad
      Ramsey responds with details of the ATCRBI system operation. One detail
      was left out though. Typically, the reply light has a time delay of a
      quarter to a half second or so. It is often (for instance in the
      ubiquitous King KT76 and 76A transponders) a light bulb rather than an
      LED, and it dims with the panel lights. This results in even longer time
      response. It doesn't take too many interrogators to make it seem to be
      on all the time. However I also have had the experience of seeing it
      come on solid, typically in the middle of the Nevada desert near the
      edges of restricted areas (there are after all more than a few airborne
      and ground stations in the area with the capability to interrogate
      without rotating...)

      It would probably be evident if SLS were not working, particularly on a
      discrete code. SLS malfunction causes havoc for ATC's display of all
      flights in the vicinity; I have heard them ask pilots to squawk standby
      when it was suspected that their transponder was not doing SLS correctly.