Re: [coldwarcomms] radar and "special ammo"

  • Bob Stratton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2004
      Hi Doug,

      Civilian aircraft don't have transponders on them without cockpit
      controls for the same reason they don't have flight control surfaces
      without a yoke or joy stick - sometimes the pilot has to manipulate
      them. They're comparatively high-powered pulse transmitters, and tend
      to be cranky. They are one of the few pieces of technology in use
      today that really does require warm-up time. Pilots need to be able to
      set beacon codes into them, and need to be able to power-cycle them
      when, for whatever reason, they act balky.

      For those would would tag all aviators with a "Scarlet A", take heart.
      The newer Mode S transponders (which also piggyback traffic data in
      some of the interrogation packets for display on cockpit systems) have
      an identification number assigned by the FAA programmed into an EPROM
      somewhere that only an avionics technician can reach.

      On another note, could the Special Ammunition Network be for items
      requiring "surety", i.e. National Command Authority?