RE: [coldwarcomms] cable spec?

  • blitz
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
      Therein lies the problem, ive got two figures, .66 and .8
      As I just posted on another board I asked the same question on, ok, i'll
      build one at .66 and if that doesn't work well, one at .82 or
      whatever...since MY time spent on MY OWN project is worthless anyway, Im
      only out the worth of a cable piece 3' long...

      At 07:56 6/17/2004, you wrote:
      >More than likely it .66, but I can't be positive.
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
        On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:12:03PM -0400, blitz wrote:
        > Therein lies the problem, ive got two figures, .66 and .8
        > As I just posted on another board I asked the same question on, ok, i'll
        > build one at .66 and if that doesn't work well, one at .82 or
        > whatever...since MY time spent on MY OWN project is worthless anyway, Im
        > only out the worth of a cable piece 3' long...

        Do you have either a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator
        and reflectometer (or a network analyzer equivalent) or a TDR ?

        Both can be used to MEASURE the vprop of the cable by measuring
        the characteristics of a hunk of known length (such as your 3 foot piece).

        You leave one end open and measure the resulting stub from
        the other end.

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
      • Bill Barnes
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
          I think the OLD FM & Repeaters or the VHF Manual from the '70's had data
          for Times FM-8. I actually used that on my tower back in the 70's for
          the VHF antennas. If I can find the correct pile of stuff, I'll try to
          find it....

          Bill
          WB0NSQ

          Dave Emery wrote:

          >On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:12:03PM -0400, blitz wrote:
          >

          >>Therein lies the problem, ive got two figures, .66 and .8
          >>As I just posted on another board I asked the same question on, ok, i'll
          >>build one at .66 and if that doesn't work well, one at .82 or
          >>whatever...since MY time spent on MY OWN project is worthless anyway, Im
          >>only out the worth of a cable piece 3' long...
          >>

          > Do you have either a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator
          >and reflectometer (or a network analyzer equivalent) or a TDR ?
          >
          > Both can be used to MEASURE the vprop of the cable by measuring
          >the characteristics of a hunk of known length (such as your 3 foot piece).
          >
          > You leave one end open and measure the resulting stub from
          >the other end.

        • blitz
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
            Unfortunately I do not, if I did, the question would be moot. I have an
            OTDR, but its not going to be much use on copper.

            At 18:26 6/17/2004, you wrote:
            >On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:12:03PM -0400, blitz wrote:
            > > Therein lies the problem, ive got two figures, .66 and .8
            > > As I just posted on another board I asked the same question on, ok, i'll
            > > build one at .66 and if that doesn't work well, one at .82 or
            > > whatever...since MY time spent on MY OWN project is worthless anyway, Im
            > > only out the worth of a cable piece 3' long...
            > >

            > Do you have either a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator
            >and reflectometer (or a network analyzer equivalent) or a TDR ?
            >
            > Both can be used to MEASURE the vprop of the cable by measuring
            >the characteristics of a hunk of known length (such as your 3 foot piece).
            >
            > You leave one end open and measure the resulting stub from
            >the other end.
            >

            >--
            > Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass
            > 02493

          • blitz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
              Would appreciate that much Bill...thanks for looking...

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                > Therein lies the problem, ive got two figures, .66 and .8
                > As I just posted on another board I asked the same question on, ok, i'll
                > build one at .66 and if that doesn't work well, one at .82 or
                > whatever...since MY time spent on MY OWN project is worthless anyway, Im
                > only out the worth of a cable piece 3' long...

                I hope your 3' cable isn't as expensive as the 3' cables these guys are
                selling:
                http://www.audience-av.com/cableprices.htm

                And check out their prices for hookup wire, at the bottom of the page!

                Albert
              • f_helton
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 18, 2004
                  From FM & Repeaters 1st edition(1972) FM8 velocity factor is 80

                  Frank, K0FU
                • blitz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2004
                    NO, it isn't....this is one of the audio-scam pages, like gold-plated
                    anything would improve speaker performance...Hello audio IDIOTS, Silver is
                    the better conductor, and just using bigger wire is all you need.
                    I run #16 zipcord for audio, 100 watts....audio is insignificant as to
                    surface effect...

                    Im dealing with RF in my project...2.4ghz RF....

                    >I hope your 3' cable isn't as expensive as the 3' cables these guys are
                    >selling:
                    >http://www.audience-av.com/cableprices.htm
                    >
                    >And check out their prices for hookup wire, at the bottom of the page!
                    >
                    >Albert
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • blitz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 20, 2004