OT: Amtrak electrification [was Re: Maryland route questions]

    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2004
      From: "pwood78" <pwood78@...>
      To: <coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 12:50 PM
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Maryland route questions

      <SNIP>
      > I haven't paid attention to the Amtrack ROW, atleast until I get to
      > Aberdeen. I'm more capitvated with the overhead electrical lines. As
      > someone from south of the Mason Dixon line that kind of setup is very
      > strange.
      <SNIP>

      The Northeast Corridor electrification is quite interesting, especially the
      intricate catenary construction you noticed. And the last time I traveled
      the route, several years ago, there was a lot of very old electrical
      equipment in the substations. The trains still run on 25 Hz power (at 12
      KV, I think).

      In fact, the powerhouse at Holtwood Dam on the Susquehanna River has two
      single-phase 25 Hz alternators dedicated to Amtrak. The plant also houses a
      60-25 Hz motor-alternator frequency changer - one of the very few of those
      ancient machines that's still operating.

      See:
      http://www.shwpc.com/facts_figures.html
      http://services3.ieee.org/organizations/pes/public/2003/sep/peshistory.html

      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2004