Re: AT&T DC-area m/w licenses

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
      While I am sure they proliferated the country at one time and now are
      extinct, does anyone know
      any of the locations of Soviet microwave intercept sites?
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
        On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 07:33:03AM -0500, Mark Foster wrote:
        > From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
        >
        > While I am sure they proliferated the country at one time and now are
        > extinct, does anyone know
        > any of the locations of Soviet microwave intercept sites?

        It was always stated that their embassy in Washington, their
        Consultate at the UN and their Consulate in San Fransico were known
        sites for extensive intercept, as well as certain estates they owned
        on Long Island. There have also been published accounts of the use
        of portable intercept gear at a ski resort in upstate NY that happened
        have a major route running through it.

        One suspects that because the equipment need not be large or
        conspicuous, at least to intercept a few targeted circuits rather than
        vacuum cleaning thousands of them, there were no doubt many covert
        operations involving suitably placed hotel rooms and the like.

        I have also seen reports that the US suspected that Soviet
        fishing trawlers off the coast near Pearl Harbor and other islands with
        US bases were intercepting microwave links that leaked out to sea. I
        know they were known to intercept VHF/UHF coms associated with vacationing
        Presidents at sea side resorts as early as the JFK years.

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
        PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
          Tim wrote:

          > They still store tons of Meals, Ready to Eat along the major access
          >corridor?

          Less than before, but yes. Were you there in a professional capacity or
          rubbernecking (admittedly for a magazine) like me?

          > Well, could it not be subsidized by the Greenbrier Resort?

          The official story is that they do indeed pay for everying without
          government subsidy. However it would be a heck of a lot cheaper for them
          to just seal it up if that were truly the case. It is hardly a tourist
          draw for their clientele. The airconditioning bills alone run to six
          figures a year according to their own statement.

          > if it was a dedicated
          >COG facility for Congress, I don't really forsee it as having a tremendous
          >amount of comms circuits as the traditional facilities dedicated to
          >prosecuting a nuclear war and the follow-up reconstitution of US national
          >security assets

          According to the Washington Post and the Greenbrier's new official
          history the intention was to ensure the survival of Congress as an intact
          arm of government ready to resume its prewar funtion from that site for
          as long as need be. The large hall to be used by the Congressional staff
          alone had several hundred phone lines, and there were multiple video
          channels in the comms centre - not much capacity by today's standards but
          of course it was constructed over 30 years ago.

          >> main comms centre has largely been stripped out with just a few frames
          >> remaining, but there is a suite of rooms above to which access is denied.
          >
          > Fascinating! Did you ask why they were off-limits?

          Yes. Various conflicting explanations, but there appeared to be cable
          conduits running up into that section, whereas almost all the others had
          been severed quite crudely.

          Albert wrote:-

          > A TV documentary which briefly mention the Greenbrier showed a pop-up HF
          > antenna, which I think was on Greenbrier Mountain.

          There is also a small a pop-up antenna that emerges from the bunker
          itself. Couldnt see what type though.

          My thanks to Tim, Albert and Mark for your illuminating replies

          Julian
        • Julian Allason
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 10, 2000
            Rereading the interview with Fritz Burgas, former operations director of
            the Greenbrier bunker, on Albert's pages I note that he says:-

            "The Communication Area was almost as vital as the power plant facility.
            You had a myriad of communications available--from the unclassified to
            the classified, from telephone to radio, etc. You had an ADP capability
            that was, at the time of compromise, second to none. We were right on the
            cutting edge there. It was a facility that could handle and could
            communicate with other relocation facilities wherever they might be, and
            would put the Legislative Branch of government in touch with the
            Executive Branch. And, of course, the idea of the whole program was that
            in this period of national emergency the Executive, Legislative and the
            Judicial Branches of government, should they have had to relocate from
            Washington, could have been in communication with each other and could
            continue with the business of government. "

            Julian
          • Julian Allason
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 11, 2000
              Dave wrote:-

              > It was always stated that their embassy in Washington, their
              >Consulate at the UN and their Consulate in San Fransico were known
              >sites for extensive intercept

              The Russians occupied a very large building on London's Highgate Hill
              which was used as their consulate. Coincidently or otherwise the main
              northbound microwave beam from the Post Office tower passed just above
              its roof. This carried traffic to the principal military command bunkers
              at High Wycombe and thereabouts.

              Julian