Re: Web site changes requested by AT&T
- I've been trying to come up with a coherent policy for my web sites
regarding the deletion of information due to security concerns. For what
it's worth, I'm considering the following:
(1) There will be no pre-emptive removal of information; deletions will only
be made in response to direct requests.
(2) Requests for removal of material will only be considered from the
(a) The contributor of the material;
(b) A government agency having a reasonable degree of responsibility for the
security of the relevant system or facility; and
(c) The owner of the relevant system or facility.
(3) Requests from contributors will always be honored, on the principle that
the contributor owns his/her material and should be able to control its use.
(4) Requests from government agencies and system/facility owners will be
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, based on an assessment of the validity of
the stated security concern and the requestor's consistency in seeking the
removal of similar material from other publicly-accessible sources.
(5) To maintain the web sites' integrity, all deletions made at the request
of government agencies and system/facility owners will be documented in the
site's History page. The goal is to avoid having information, which people
may have come to depend on, simply disappear without explanation.
Contributors are strongly encouraged to allow the deletions they request to
be logged, but the contributor's wishes will be respected.
(6) Deletions made at the request of government agencies and system/facility
owners will be re-evaluated periodically using the criteria stated in (4),
with the goal of making the information accessible as soon as possible.
Comments and suggestions are welcome!
- "If that's your criteria for deciding is an opinion matters then I'd
think you wouldn't give much thought to what this administration says
or does? Many of them never served anything more than a beer."
Well that was analytical. What alarms me most is your
disparagement. Most importantly, please don't be blind to the
chronicle this was originally derived from. It centered around the
most recent activity/refurbishing of existing cold war/post
Remember, the lack in privileged knowledge only facilitiates an
atmosphere for more opinions and theories. Usually these opinions
prevail due to lack in substantiating evidence to support ones
hypothesis. If circumstantiated evidence was furnished in front of
the proper commission, view points based on unsupported ideology
would then appear rather frivolous.
If you don't know, then ask. Knowledge is power. Lets not
opinionate and impose misrepresentation.