Re: Web site changes requested by AT&T

    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 2, 2004
      I've been trying to come up with a coherent policy for my web sites
      regarding the deletion of information due to security concerns. For what
      it's worth, I'm considering the following:

      (1) There will be no pre-emptive removal of information; deletions will only
      be made in response to direct requests.

      (2) Requests for removal of material will only be considered from the
      following sources:
      (a) The contributor of the material;
      (b) A government agency having a reasonable degree of responsibility for the
      security of the relevant system or facility; and
      (c) The owner of the relevant system or facility.

      (3) Requests from contributors will always be honored, on the principle that
      the contributor owns his/her material and should be able to control its use.

      (4) Requests from government agencies and system/facility owners will be
      evaluated on a case-by-case basis, based on an assessment of the validity of
      the stated security concern and the requestor's consistency in seeking the
      removal of similar material from other publicly-accessible sources.

      (5) To maintain the web sites' integrity, all deletions made at the request
      of government agencies and system/facility owners will be documented in the
      site's History page. The goal is to avoid having information, which people
      may have come to depend on, simply disappear without explanation.
      Contributors are strongly encouraged to allow the deletions they request to
      be logged, but the contributor's wishes will be respected.

      (6) Deletions made at the request of government agencies and system/facility
      owners will be re-evaluated periodically using the criteria stated in (4),
      with the goal of making the information accessible as soon as possible.

      Comments and suggestions are welcome!

      Albert
    • Greenfog13
      Message 34 of 34 , May 11, 2004
        "If that's your criteria for deciding is an opinion matters then I'd
        think you wouldn't give much thought to what this administration says
        or does? Many of them never served anything more than a beer."

        Well that was analytical. What alarms me most is your
        disparagement. Most importantly, please don't be blind to the
        chronicle this was originally derived from. It centered around the
        most recent activity/refurbishing of existing cold war/post
        facilities.

        Remember, the lack in privileged knowledge only facilitiates an
        atmosphere for more opinions and theories. Usually these opinions
        prevail due to lack in substantiating evidence to support ones
        hypothesis. If circumstantiated evidence was furnished in front of
        the proper commission, view points based on unsupported ideology
        would then appear rather frivolous.

        If you don't know, then ask. Knowledge is power. Lets not
        opinionate and impose misrepresentation.

        Dave