Scipio/Delta Sites

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 1999
      Visited your site at:

      http://www.stillyoung.com/scipiotower.htm

      Nice shots of the microwave tower. My records
      http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Sites.htm show an AT&T AUTOVON site named
      Delta very close to the Scipio tower. The town of Delta is about 25 miles
      due west of the Town of Scipio. Might they be the same site?

      Thanks
    • Daryl R. Gibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2000
        Mark:

        Your Delta Autovon pictures are at the URLs

        http://du3.byu.edu/gibson/deltaautovon1.jpg
        http://du3.byu.edu/gibson/deltaautovon2.jpg

        The Autovon site is grown over with weeds, I'm afraid.
        The Fiber marker in the foreground of one of the shots
        is a fiber line for Worldcom that passes through the property.
        The site is currently owned by the local rural telecom, Citizen's
        Telephone. I looked for any sort of nuclear detonation detectors on
        either site, and thought for a while that I had found some at the
        Autovon site, but I think they're just plain old ugly weird-shaped
        lamps.

        There are also three shots of the AT&T tower next
        door:

        http://du3.byu.edu/gibson/deltaradio1.jpg
        http://du3.byu.edu/gibson/deltaradio2.jpg
        http://du3.byu.edu/gibson/deltaradio3.jpg

        This tower spans the AT&T SLC-Los Angeles fiber, which also
        goes through this site. This site also used to bounce traffic
        to another site at Leamington Summit, and from Leamington
        east over the mountains. If you still have the URL showing
        the microwave route (http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/maps/fpfm.jpg)
        you'll note a small jog in the lower microwave path in Utah.
        Traffic here went from Salt Lake City (the upper transcontinental
        traffic path) west to Scipio, then split paths at Scipio. One path
        went south to Meadow, then over to a site in the Confusion Mountains.
        The other path from Scipio went to Delta. At Delta, one path went
        west across the Nevada desert. The other path went to Leamington, then
        to Ephraim Summit (10,000 ft. + high) then to Green River, and then
        into
        Colorado.

        The Autovon site was built by AT&T, to government specs, and
        serviced by AT&T techs onsite in Delta/AT&T, but was kept separate
        from the other site, and run by the government, apparently.
        I don't know if there was ever a microwave path
        between the Autovon site, and anywhere special, but I suspect there
        was a connection of some sort between the two towers. The tower that
        sits on top of the site doesn't look as if it's up to spec for
        anything special.

        I will eventually build a page for the Delta pictures, and others, when
        I get more in the can. I've decided to try and photograph as
        many of them as I can during February. The American Tower sale
        closes March 1, and I suspect some of the more centrally-located
        sites will have the microwave antennas taken down soon after as they
        are converted to PCS/Cellular/Broadcast use. I will have a link off
        of the Scipio site that you have already visited when that happens.

        Daryl

        --- Mark Foster <mfoster@...> wrote:
        > Visited your site at:
        >
        > http://www.stillyoung.com/scipiotower.htm
        >
        > Nice shots of the microwave tower. My records
        > http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Sites.htm show an AT&T AUTOVON site
        > named
        > Delta very close to the Scipio tower. The town of Delta is about 25
        > miles
        > due west of the Town of Scipio. Might they be the same site?
        >
        > Thanks

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Daryl Gibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2000
          > went south to Meadow, then over to a site in the Confusion Mountains.

          Sorry...the site was in the Cricket Mountains...not that it matters to
          anyone.
          Another site was in the Confusion Mountains, "down the road a piece"....
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
            Daryl,

            Thanks for posting those pictures and descriptions. I, too, am very
            interested in the old AT&T microwave routes.

            The Autovon site is particularly interesting. It looks like quite a large
            building, and has an architectural style I've never seen before. Are there
            any defense installations in the area?

            The FCC database shows three stations in the Delta area. There's the
            AUTOVON station and the station adjacent to it, and another station about 5
            miles to the NW in downtown Delta.

            You make a excellent point about the possibility that American Tower may
            remove the microwave antennas at the AT&T towers they've bought. It might
            be advisable for us to document the azimuths of those antennas, since the
            data about many of the old links have been purged from the FCC database,
            and the antennas provide the only clues as to where they went.

            BTW, I have a small web site devoted to AT&T microwave links in the
            Washington DC area, at http://bellsystem.homestead.com It's still very
            incomplete, with only a few stations listed, but it will give you an idea
            of what I'm trying to do.

            Let me know if I can be of any help with your project.

            ...Albert
          • Julian Allason
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
              Albert noted:

              >The Autovon site is particularly interesting. It looks like quite a large
              >building, and has an architectural style I've never seen before

              A newly posted British page http://fp.coldwar.f9.co.uk/autovon.html
              describes the abandoned Autovon exchhange in Ipswitch, England, with some
              interesting pictures.

              Julian