Re: Possible museum at AT&T Ocean Gate, NJ; support needed

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2004
      Mike,

      Thanks for your interest!

      At this point there are more questions than answers about what's going to
      happen. For example, I don't even know exactly what equipment is in the
      building. The only specific items I'm aware of are several 1950s-vintage
      transmitters and a gas-turbine engine-generator. I hope to visit the
      station soon to make a detailed list of the contents.

      As I see things now, there are two possible scenarios by which a museum
      could be created at Ocean Gate. Both involve the township approving the
      establishment of a museum in the existing AT&T building.

      The first, and best, option would be for Shipcom, the communications company
      which bought the equipment from the township's scrap contractor, to operate
      the facility as a maritime HF station, with the museum occupying the
      majority of the building's space. Shipcom would use the station's modern
      transmitters, and leave everything else in place for a museum display.
      Unfortunately, this scenario is looking more and more like a long shot.
      First, of course, Shipcom would have to negotiate an acceptable lease with
      the township, perhaps using the donation of the equipment to the museum as
      an incentive. Then there's the matter of antennas: the land containing the
      antenna field belongs to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which intends
      to remove all of the antennas and restore the land to its natural state. It
      might be possible to install a new antenna on the small amount of land which
      accompanies the building, but that might not be feasible due to cost and/or
      regulatory restrictions (local zoning, FCC RF exposure rules, etc.).

      The alternative is that Shipcom will relocate the equipment it needs to
      another facility, and the museum would purchase the remaining items from the
      company. This is obviously the less desirable option because the museum
      would need to raise funds to acquire the equipment, in addition to the other
      expenses incurred in setting up and running the museum.

      Right now, the most time-sensitive task is to demonstrate to the township
      government that we can muster the resources needed for the museum project.
      This is because Shipcom is required, under their current agreement with the
      township, to clean out the building soon (I think within one or two months).
      My hope is that we can at least buy some additional time to get an
      organization in place and to work through the options available. The
      township doesn't have any current plans for the building, and the
      administrator is interested in the museum ideas, so I think that it will be
      feasible to negotiate an extension. The township's main concern is to
      ensure that they're not stuck with a building full of abandoned equipment,
      but that shouldn't be a problem. Shipcom's original plan was to sell the
      contents, and they can still do so.

      What I'd like to do is submit to the township a list of people and
      organizations willing to support the museum, specifiying for each member the
      nature of their proposed contribution. It could be money, personal
      services, or materials and supplies. Examples of services are legal advice,
      architectural, engineering and construction work, accounting and management
      services, building maintenance, and of course tour guides.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2004
        Is there anyone living within a reasonable distance of Ocean Gate who could
        represent the museum project in person to the township government and other
        local organizations?

        I've been in touch with Berkeley Township officials only by phone and
        e-mail, so it would be good to establish some "face-to-face" relationships.

        Albert
      • Tim Cwik
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2004
          I am about 60 miles south of Ocean Gate and would be willing to help.

          Tim

          On 2004.02.06 01:21, Albert LaFrance wrote:
          > Is there anyone living within a reasonable distance of Ocean Gate who
          > could
          > represent the museum project in person to the township government and
          > other
          > local organizations?
          >
          > I've been in touch with Berkeley Township officials only by phone and
          > e-mail, so it would be good to establish some "face-to-face"
          > relationships.
          >
          > Albert

          Tim Cwik
          tcwik@... spamtrap: tjc123@...
          Voice: 609-368-2482 Fax: 609-368-3695
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2004
            Thanks, Tim! I'm trying to arrange a visit to the site; maybe we can meet
            then. I'll check with you before I schedule anything.

          • long-lines@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 14, 2004
              Albert,
              Give me a call; maybe we can set up a reimbursement account for
              the recon trip(s).
              Chad