Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: 1965 Bell Labs Record contents

  • Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
      All the documents I have seen have primarily identified Lamar and
      Hugo as being the main junction stations feeding into CMC.

      Based on the topography of the site, there are very limited routes for
      getting cables into the site. It would probably be impossible to run a
      buried cable to the west over the mountains there. Interestingly, if
      you look at the recent pics of the CMC entrance on Cryptome, you
      can see just how close the housing developments of Colorado
      Springs are to the facility. The houses look too nice to be base
      housing for military families.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2004
        I'm back to work on the scanning project. "The Evolution of Telephone
        Switching" is now online at:
        http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0665/196-197.html

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 16, 2004
          <lafrance@a...> wrote:
          > I'm back to work on the scanning project. "The Evolution of
          Telephone
          > Switching" is now online at:
          > http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0665/196-197.html
          >
          > Albert

          Thank you Albert -- Much appreciated by a newbie.
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:

            > The Cold War related articles in the 1965 Bell Lab Records I found
            > interesting were:
            >
            > Jan 65 - NASA's 304 Conference Switching System that was located
            > in Greenbelt, MD.

            WeCo 300 type switching systems(on customer premises)were also
            installed at many military locations,including the Pentagon & Site R;
            also at FAA Centers.

            > Oct 65 - Norad's Blast Resistant Network. Can anyone identify the
            > 6 stations that fed NORAD? (4 were L-1 Coaxial cable and 2 were
            microwave).

            > At 12:53 AM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            > >No problem, I should have them up sometime next week.
            > >
            > >Albert

          • William Miller
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
              wrote:

              > Oct 65 - Norad's Blast Resistant Network. Can anyone identify the
              > 6 stations that fed NORAD? (4 were L-1 Coaxial cable and 2 were
              microwave).

              This is from what we've seen down there:

              Based on the graphic the 12 o' clock position is Westcreek, the 2
              o'clock position is Calhan, the 4 o'clock position is either Boone
              or Lamar, the 6 o'clock position is either Cedarwood or Beulah, the
              8 o'clock position is -possibly- Beulah if Cedarwood is 6 o'clock,
              and the 10 o'clock position is -possibly- Badger Mountain.

              We can find no substantiated record of any 8 o'clock or 10 o'clock
              sites. If anyone else has an information, please pass it on. :)

              We've heard rumors that Cedarwood might have had a microwave shot to
              Cheyenne South at one point in time. It certainly had the tower
              height and location to do this, but we haven't found any proof of
              this yet. This would make Cedarwood 6 o'clock and Beulah 8 o'clock
              if it turns out to be true.

              Another rumor is that Badger Mountain had a shot to Cheyenne North
              which would be the missing 10 o'clock site. We havent made it up to
              Badger yet (requires a snowcat this time of year), but plan to this
              summer.

              Also, based on the three coaxial feeds coming into the 4 o'clock
              site, it is possible this represents Lamar. Lamar is quite a haul
              from NORAD though and the graphic doesn't show anything between
              the "nodal stations" and NORAD itself.