Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Cold War Comms in Central PA

  • Pj
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Anyone know what Altoona talked to? I tried to visually see where the other station was, but I can't seem to locate it. Altoona sits in a deep valley so its gotta be close. Any other sites close to Altoona (COG or otherwise?) I should be back in that generally area in April, and hopefully with a visit to Cannonball again.

      fantumone <mr_tjsmith@...> wrote:Hi all,

      I'm new here. I grew up in Philipsburg and have spent many a night
      necking in that fire tower ( a long time ago). Philipsburg hasa
      defunct airport right near this location (mainly used for private
      aviation). In the nineties a PA National Guard CH-47 unit was based
      there. Most airline traffic now goes into State College. Other than
      the GWEN site mentioned earlier, there are no bunkers or other CoG
      type facilities in the area. Along the road where the towers are
      there are many small facilities/comms shelters for a variety of
      organizations. Just my 2 cents. The fire tower, by the way, is a
      great place to enjoy a starry night. Maureen if you are out there
      anywhere....

      Tim Smith
      CW2 (R) USA

    • smoopan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2004
        Tim-
        I'm also in the area and I've had my eye on the Laurelton l4 power feed station just off
        rt. 45 west of state college. I'm trying to figure out who owns it right now. That's
        weird man...one of my room mates is also named TIm J. Smith. Small world.
        -Spencer
      • smoopan