Re: Cold War Comms in Central PA

  • fantumone
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2003
      Hi all,

      I'm new here. I grew up in Philipsburg and have spent many a night
      necking in that fire tower ( a long time ago). Philipsburg hasa
      defunct airport right near this location (mainly used for private
      aviation). In the nineties a PA National Guard CH-47 unit was based
      there. Most airline traffic now goes into State College. Other than
      the GWEN site mentioned earlier, there are no bunkers or other CoG
      type facilities in the area. Along the road where the towers are
      there are many small facilities/comms shelters for a variety of
      organizations. Just my 2 cents. The fire tower, by the way, is a
      great place to enjoy a starry night. Maureen if you are out there
      anywhere....

      Tim Smith
      CW2 (R) USA
    • Pj

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2004
          Tim-
          I'm also in the area and I've had my eye on the Laurelton l4 power feed station just off
          rt. 45 west of state college. I'm trying to figure out who owns it right now. That's
          weird man...one of my room mates is also named TIm J. Smith. Small world.
          -Spencer
        • smoopan