Re: 1965 Bell Labs Record contents

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
      The NORAD item is now online at:
      http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/CMC/BLR1065/387.html

      Your question about the stations serving NORAD is a good one. From this
      1976 map (the same routes are shown on a 1979 map) it looks like only about
      half of the planned ring was built:
      http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/CO76.html

      Perhaps DoD decided to use carriers other than AT&T for the remainder of the
      links, or maybe funding was never provided for the full implementation. It
      would be interesting to find out what happened.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
        All the documents I have seen have primarily identified Lamar and
        Hugo as being the main junction stations feeding into CMC.

        Based on the topography of the site, there are very limited routes for
        getting cables into the site. It would probably be impossible to run a
        buried cable to the west over the mountains there. Interestingly, if
        you look at the recent pics of the CMC entrance on Cryptome, you
        can see just how close the housing developments of Colorado
        Springs are to the facility. The houses look too nice to be base
        housing for military families.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 15, 2004
          I'm back to work on the scanning project. "The Evolution of Telephone
          Switching" is now online at:
          http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0665/196-197.html

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 16, 2004
            <lafrance@a...> wrote:
            > I'm back to work on the scanning project. "The Evolution of
            Telephone
            > Switching" is now online at:
            > http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0665/196-197.html
            >
            > Albert

            Thank you Albert -- Much appreciated by a newbie.
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:

              > The Cold War related articles in the 1965 Bell Lab Records I found
              > interesting were:
              >
              > Jan 65 - NASA's 304 Conference Switching System that was located
              > in Greenbelt, MD.

              WeCo 300 type switching systems(on customer premises)were also
              installed at many military locations,including the Pentagon & Site R;
              also at FAA Centers.

              > Oct 65 - Norad's Blast Resistant Network. Can anyone identify the
              > 6 stations that fed NORAD? (4 were L-1 Coaxial cable and 2 were
              microwave).

              > At 12:53 AM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              > >No problem, I should have them up sometime next week.
              > >
              > >Albert

            • William Miller
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                wrote:

                > Oct 65 - Norad's Blast Resistant Network. Can anyone identify the
                > 6 stations that fed NORAD? (4 were L-1 Coaxial cable and 2 were
                microwave).

                This is from what we've seen down there:

                Based on the graphic the 12 o' clock position is Westcreek, the 2
                o'clock position is Calhan, the 4 o'clock position is either Boone
                or Lamar, the 6 o'clock position is either Cedarwood or Beulah, the
                8 o'clock position is -possibly- Beulah if Cedarwood is 6 o'clock,
                and the 10 o'clock position is -possibly- Badger Mountain.

                We can find no substantiated record of any 8 o'clock or 10 o'clock
                sites. If anyone else has an information, please pass it on. :)

                We've heard rumors that Cedarwood might have had a microwave shot to
                Cheyenne South at one point in time. It certainly had the tower
                height and location to do this, but we haven't found any proof of
                this yet. This would make Cedarwood 6 o'clock and Beulah 8 o'clock
                if it turns out to be true.

                Another rumor is that Badger Mountain had a shot to Cheyenne North
                which would be the missing 10 o'clock site. We havent made it up to
                Badger yet (requires a snowcat this time of year), but plan to this
                summer.

                Also, based on the three coaxial feeds coming into the 4 o'clock
                site, it is possible this represents Lamar. Lamar is quite a haul
                from NORAD though and the graphic doesn't show anything between
                the "nodal stations" and NORAD itself.