Re: 1965 Bell Labs Record contents

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
      I've just uploaded the 304 Conference Switching System article:
      http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0165/008.html

      It includes a photo of the Greenbelt console. The system had no fewer than
      four blink rates for indicator lights: flutter, winking, fast flash, and
      slow flash!

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
        The NORAD item is now online at:
        http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/CMC/BLR1065/387.html

        Your question about the stations serving NORAD is a good one. From this
        1976 map (the same routes are shown on a 1979 map) it looks like only about
        half of the planned ring was built:
        http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/CO76.html

        Perhaps DoD decided to use carriers other than AT&T for the remainder of the
        links, or maybe funding was never provided for the full implementation. It
        would be interesting to find out what happened.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2004
          All the documents I have seen have primarily identified Lamar and
          Hugo as being the main junction stations feeding into CMC.

          Based on the topography of the site, there are very limited routes for
          getting cables into the site. It would probably be impossible to run a
          buried cable to the west over the mountains there. Interestingly, if
          you look at the recent pics of the CMC entrance on Cryptome, you
          can see just how close the housing developments of Colorado
          Springs are to the facility. The houses look too nice to be base
          housing for military families.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 15, 2004
            I'm back to work on the scanning project. "The Evolution of Telephone
            Switching" is now online at:
            http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0665/196-197.html

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 16, 2004
              <lafrance@a...> wrote:
              > I'm back to work on the scanning project. "The Evolution of
              Telephone
              > Switching" is now online at:
              > http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/switching/BLR0665/196-197.html
              >
              > Albert

              Thank you Albert -- Much appreciated by a newbie.
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:

                > The Cold War related articles in the 1965 Bell Lab Records I found
                > interesting were:
                >
                > Jan 65 - NASA's 304 Conference Switching System that was located
                > in Greenbelt, MD.

                WeCo 300 type switching systems(on customer premises)were also
                installed at many military locations,including the Pentagon & Site R;
                also at FAA Centers.

                > Oct 65 - Norad's Blast Resistant Network. Can anyone identify the
                > 6 stations that fed NORAD? (4 were L-1 Coaxial cable and 2 were
                microwave).

                > At 12:53 AM 12/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                > >No problem, I should have them up sometime next week.
                > >
                > >Albert

              • William Miller
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2004
                  wrote:

                  > Oct 65 - Norad's Blast Resistant Network. Can anyone identify the
                  > 6 stations that fed NORAD? (4 were L-1 Coaxial cable and 2 were
                  microwave).

                  This is from what we've seen down there:

                  Based on the graphic the 12 o' clock position is Westcreek, the 2
                  o'clock position is Calhan, the 4 o'clock position is either Boone
                  or Lamar, the 6 o'clock position is either Cedarwood or Beulah, the
                  8 o'clock position is -possibly- Beulah if Cedarwood is 6 o'clock,
                  and the 10 o'clock position is -possibly- Badger Mountain.

                  We can find no substantiated record of any 8 o'clock or 10 o'clock
                  sites. If anyone else has an information, please pass it on. :)

                  We've heard rumors that Cedarwood might have had a microwave shot to
                  Cheyenne South at one point in time. It certainly had the tower
                  height and location to do this, but we haven't found any proof of
                  this yet. This would make Cedarwood 6 o'clock and Beulah 8 o'clock
                  if it turns out to be true.

                  Another rumor is that Badger Mountain had a shot to Cheyenne North
                  which would be the missing 10 o'clock site. We havent made it up to
                  Badger yet (requires a snowcat this time of year), but plan to this
                  summer.

                  Also, based on the three coaxial feeds coming into the 4 o'clock
                  site, it is possible this represents Lamar. Lamar is quite a haul
                  from NORAD though and the graphic doesn't show anything between
                  the "nodal stations" and NORAD itself.