Re: MOUNT WEATHER BUILDING picture added to Phote section

  • pwood78
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "scottgoodyear2001"
      <scottgoodyear2001@y...> wrote:
      > The picture is now added to the phot o section file name VA601A.
      > The building is about 1.5 miles from us 17. There was no marking on
      > the building or any cable markers near it.

      I drove by there earlier today so maybe I can confirm/update
      somethings.

      Thats a/the hardend repeater hut for a cable going from Winchester to
      the FEMA Mt. Weather facility. There are cable markers. Older
      transconitnental style cable found crossing Rt. 50/17. Along Rt. 601
      there are additional cable markers. However, they are small wooden
      spike like markers. The markers approaching the hut have an orange
      metal plate attached to them. The sun has faded out the text/logo in
      the upper white portion of the label so it may be a Bell Atlantic
      cable for the houses up there. However after the hut there are
      identical markers (all on the left side of the road heading towards
      FEMA) heading toward the FEMA facility. These have metal numbers
      nailed to them and above the numbers are color AT&T plastic labels.
      I've got a picture of the one that points out the access road to the
      C&P microwave tower north of the hut. Oddly that sign says AT&T ontop
      of it even thought the facility was C&P.

      The is another hut on Rt. 723 & Salem Church Rd. (I think thats the
      name). Totally different, cinder block construction and now has a big
      verizon sign on it even though the power meter is dead. Albert
      LaFrance has pictures of those huts and I think cable markers at
      http://www.long-lines.net/