Sprint/MCI Virginia fiber route

  • pwood78
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2003
      Hi,

      Sorry to bother, I was putting together a page on the various cable
      routes in Virginia. Most of the work is centered on AT&Ts COAX and
      Fiber routes, however I remembered the Sprint has a run along the CSX
      tracks from atleast here (Newport News) to I suspect Richmond. Found
      the terminating POP here in Newport News and a repeater hut about 12
      1/2 miles or so north. I found a third Sprint hut all the way near
      the Charles City Co./New Kent Co. line along the rail road as well.
      However, this is hut is about 35 miles north of the first hut. I
      suspect that I am missing two huts. I was wondering if anyone new
      about this route or the distance between huts or even where in
      Richmond the route terminates (I suspect Grace St. in downtown
      Richmond).

      Also any info on the MCI route along Rt. 60? 3/4 years ago they
      decommissioned one of their older repeaters on Rt. 60 in Lanexa (New
      Kent Co.) sold the building to the ROW owner and moved their stuff
      into COX Fibernet's Lightfoot facility (ironicly built infront of
      AT&T's Lightfoot mic site). There is another repeater in Sandston
      (Henrico Co.) next to a fire tower off of Rt. 60. This one looks alot
      more modern than the one sold to the property owner. A similar and
      almost identical repeater is found off of Rt. 250 heading towards
      Charlottesville in Zions Crossroads (or there abouts). There is a
      gigantic facility in Glen Allen and a medium sized facility in
      Charlottesville (althought the NetworkMCI sign has been removed).
      However, those are the only three repeaters I know about, surely
      there must be more? Also where do the routes go? Rt. 60 ends just
      *after* the Lightfoot facility. Charlottesville seems to go N from
      the 5th St. facility but thats it.

      I did find a much older repeater site in Woodford, Caroline Co. It
      was a dedicated two way site with generator building. I don't think
      its part of the Rt. 60/250 run though.

      Any info on those two runs would be most appreciated.

      Thank you!